Our Final Two Game Drives


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo
November 24th 2022
Published: December 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

 Red-chested Cuckoo Red-chested Cuckoo Red-chested Cuckoo

This bird interrupted my sleep every morning by starting his morning song at 4am.
Today will be our last full day at Hippo Lakes. We have two game drives scheduled and dinner around the campfire. Again our first drive began at 7 am. The one Big 5 animal that resides locally is the African Buffalo and thus far it has been elusive. We are on the hunt for it this morning. I have also been on a mission to photograph a very noisy and "annoying to me" bird called a Red-chested Cuckoo. This bird begins it's song at 4 am and continues endlessly throughout the day. I have seen it several times but it has not posed for a photo. This morning it was sitting proudly in a tree top and I finally got my photo thanks to Shaun, our guide, spotting it. We also found a crocodile sunning itself by the lake.

Onward to a favorite spot for the Buffalo and happily there they were, a herd of six, who stared us down as if wishing us to move on. We did finally move on to share a cup of coffee on the overlook above Hippo Lakes.

Our evening drive was shortened by an rain shower that made the road slick for driving, but we did enjoy watching a mom and baby zebra, finally getting to see the local giraffes and getting a quick view of a Brown Snake Eagle.

Then it was back to camp for a delicious dinner by the campfire.

Tomorrow we pack our bags to return to Johannesburg for our flight to Cape Town to continue our adventure in South Africa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb