On The Hunt for the Big 5


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Welgevonden Reserve
November 22nd 2022
Published: November 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After a little later than usual breakfast, we climbed aboard 2 vans and made the 3 hour drive to Welgevonden Game Preserve. We stopped along the way for a little shopping before reaching our final destination. Our goal for the day was to find as many of the Big 5 African animals, Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo. We signed in and headed out on our adventure.

We were riding with our guide, Fin, along with Shea, Justin, and Nick. We had a fun group as we searched the area. We quickly encountered Warthogs, Wildebeests, and the sought after Rhino. We continued along and found 3 Rhinos grazing close to the road for nice photos. Zebra dotted the landscape and we soon came upon an elephant cooling herself with muddy water. She systematically tossed water over and under her body to cool off. We passed more warthogs and wildebeests as we headed toward a mom and calf rhino. Both were sleeping but we were able to return later to find them both up and about eating.

Another elephant encounter was a bit more exciting as a bull elephant was a bit unhappy and started to charge another vehicle from our group. He stopped before actually contacting the car and went down the hill to wallow in some mud. After cooling himself off he climbed back up and moseyed on.

Also calling the preserve home were springbok, black-back jackals, elands, waterbucks and a variety of birds.

After a wonderful adventure we returned to Hippo Lakes for dinner and a nice sunset.

Tomorrow we will have a local game drive and then head to Entabeni.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

WildebeestWildebeest
Wildebeest

One of many we saw
 Warthog Warthog
Warthog

There were lots of these little guys.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb