Our night out in the Bush - 6th August


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
August 16th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our night out in the wild bush.

This morning we woke up and set out too work and on the way we found a very fresh lion kill, we had heard the lions on an evening for quite a few nights so we knew that they were around. This kill must have happened early this morning and it was a waterbuck, the lions had stripped it clean, except for the bit of skin left (that we brought back to camp and treated) and each of the hoofs with skin still on the legs.

Then all of us at camp decided that we wanted to go and sleep out in the hides in the bush for the night, we had all forgotten about the lions being around after that kill! Hides are tents that are placed on slits so you can look out over the bush. We had to spilt into 2 groups because there was too many of us too fit into 1 hide, so 1 went to the dam that is dry at the moment and I with the other group went to the Zebra hide next to a waterhole. I think we got the best deal out of it, we had a spotlight and meat that we put round the waterhole.

Then we sat on the balcony of the waterhole and were playing cards and then we heard this massive big roar and we all ran into the hide scared!!We then decided maybe it would be a good idea to go into the hide now. So we got into the hide and again we heard the lions and we heard them all night. At one point Brass who was at camp came out in the car too see if we were all Ok. Then we all setteled down for the night, all during the night we heard the lions and at 1 point they got very, very close!!

We were all up at 6pm next morning a bit tried after not much sleep, but it was a really good experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb