Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
July 31st 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Durban BeachfrontDurban BeachfrontDurban Beachfront

This is the view from my Durban hotel room!
We are now in Durban, which sits right on the coast of the Indian Ocean. The view from my hotel room is AMAZING! (I can hear the ocean as I sleep.) This week we heard from educational experts and community activists from KwaZula Natal (the province where Durban is located).

One of the highlights of the week was Wednesday’s meeting with Ela Gandhi, one of the granddaughter’s of Mohandas Gandhi. Gandhi spent over twenty years in South Africa and, after returning to India, his son (Ela’s father) carried on Gandhi’s work here. Ela is also very involved with human rights advocacy and is the head of ICON (International Center of Nonviolence) which works to educate people about Gandhi’s ideas.

On Wednesday, we also had a panel discussion on HIV/AIDS and its impact on education in the province. Approximately 25% of the people infected with HIV/AIDS in South Africa live in KwaZulu Natal which is proving to be a challenge for the educational system. We dialogued with a number of organizations who are working to provide education and care to both students and parents in the province whose lives have been affected by HIV/AIDS.


While in Durban, we
Kanga's Kanga's Kanga's

This is the group (along with the panelists) wearing our kangas after the HIV/AIDS panel discussion.
have also had the opportunity to experience a variety of cultural venues. On Wednesday, we attended a jazz concert at the University of KwaZulu Natal. Then, this evening, we attended the opening night performance of “The Game” which details the experiences of a group of women in prison. Both experiences were quite memorable.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb