Hluhluwe Game Reserve


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Angry Rhino!Angry Rhino!Angry Rhino!

This is the rhino that almost charged our truck.
We spent this weekend at the Hluhluwe Game Reserve. This is one of the oldest game reserves in South Africa and is home to a wide range of animals. Immediately upon entering, we saw zebras and elephants. We saw even more animals when we headed out on the evening game drive.

This morning, I decided to get one last look at the animals on the morning game drive and wound up getting more than I bargained for. On the way back to the lodge, our truck encountered a rhino on the side of the road. As we approached, the rhino reared his head and bared his teeth. The rhino made it clear that he was ready to charge and it was clear from the driver’s reaction that this rhino is one to watch out for. My driver had to enlist the help of another truck and together the two driver’s forced the rhino from the road - although the rhino did not back down easily. After the incident the driver explained that that specific rhino has charged three trucks, most recently in December when he caused over R10,000 ($1,500) in damage. What an experience!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Zebras and GiraffesZebras and Giraffes
Zebras and Giraffes

Zebras enjoy grazing with giraffes because giraffes can easily spot predators. They can see up to 3 km away!


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb