My first parasite


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
January 25th 2007
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks.

Well we're back in Durban now having spent a couple of days in St Lucia. It seems the dodgy pool there has taken its toll on Bri as he now has ring worm :P Nothing that course of athelete's foot cream cant solve but fairly minging none-the-less.
Aside from that our stay up there was very enjoyable. We went on a (supposedly) guided walk through the game park to an alarmingly close view of the resident hippos there (the guide didn't seem too bothered about the obvious safety issue) and generally just chilled out.
We arrived back in Durban on Monday and pitched up again at the same back packers that we had been a few days before on the Bluff. There we met up with Tim (yet another insane Dutchman in Africa) and Amanda with whom we spent the last couple of days.
The day before yesterday we attempted to visit the uShaka Marine World. I say attempted as half of it was closed for cleaning and the marine world itself was missing the Dolphin show (ie. the main attraction) but still expected us to pay full price. Instead we decided to burn to a crisp in the baking Durban sun whilst having a beer or two and returned to the Wet and Wild part of the Marine World yesterday for an awesome day on the water slides. Aside from the complete lack of skin on Linz's nose now (due to excessive sun burn) and some buttock bruising (from the very high drop slides before you ask) both of us escaped unscathed.
Its probably also worth mentioning that we had our first experience of Bunny Chou too. Those of you with SA connections will be able to tell us whether this is simply a Durban phenomenon or is SA-wide. For those that don't know its basically curry of some variety or other inside a hollowed out bread loaf. Sounds bleeding awful tastes bloody good. Its very, very cheap too.
After meeting up with Tim's surf instructor JJ (the oldest guy still surfing in Durban, an ultra-cool bloke, and completely nuts) we were instructed to check out the botanical gardens which we dutifully did today. These were very, very picturesque (and would have been very peaceful save for the umpteem gardeners continually cutting the grass or blowing the leaves about) and is well worth a look if you're in this neck of the woods. Photies will be provided when we find the cable for the camera.
Definitely not worth a look is the route we had to take back from the Gateway shopping centre last night. Suffice to say Durban's city centre is a ghost town at night for good reason but we managed to get through whilst retaining all four wheels on our golf! It was exciting though!
We attained our passports back with our Indian visas today so we're definitely able to fly on Monday (via Hongkong and Bangkok) to Mumbai....hooray!
Catch you guys again soon and don't forget to check the flickr page for new photos.

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb