Goodbye to Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well folks, this is the last blog from the dark continent and we will both be sad to leave.
Africa has been such a surprising and varied place and we are both sure that we'll be back in the future (we failed to go to Mozambique (which everyone has been raving about), Uganda to see the Gorrilas or Madagascar).
Lost luggage, broken guitars, sea urchin spines and fungal parasites have failed to dampen a thoroughly enjoyable stay in Africa.
We ended our it with two, rather rainy, days in the Drakensburg at the Inkosanna hostel near Winterton. The place was pretty cool but a little lacking in facilities. Linz went for an hours horse ride in the Drakensburg before we set out (for approximately 4 quid!) whilst Bri snuck into the hotel next door to use the pool. Linz's horse was looking decidedly knackered when they got back. She'd obviously pushed him during that hour.
We then headed up the N3, through many a road toll, to get to the airport backers hostel near Jo'burg airport. A little unscheduled diversion into the dodgy looking heart of Jo'burg later and we arrived at the hostel, although our nerves were a little frayed.
The hostel, unbeknownst to us, is right next to the runway and the decision to camp that night probably wasn't the best. It did mean, however, that we rose suitably early to pack ready for the flight the next morning.
Having dropped the car off with the rental firm (who said nothing of the speeding fine...hooray) we attempted to post our tent back to the UK (having tried, unsuccessfully, to pawn it). The woman at the airport post office thought it would be funny to wind Linz up and kept us waiting for so long that we had to run (yet again) in order to catch the flight. We did, however, make it, although we were both deeply disappointed in, the much revered, Cathay Pacific quality. Lack of leg room and shoulder room plus a less than clean plane took us to Hong Kong where we were to transit back to Mumbai. The 12 hour flight was very dull and tiring but we did get a sneak preview of the gadge heaven that is Hong Kong. Orders will probably be taken for cameras etc. for when we return there in a month or so's time.
After the seven hours drooling over playstation 3's and other (rediculously cheap) electronic stuff we headed back on to the place for 2 hour's flying to Bangkok and finally four and a bit to Mumbai.
Suffice to say we made it safely and I'll blog India soon.

All the best folks and catch you again soon.

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb