The Panorama Route from Thornybush to Johannesburg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng
September 24th 2019
Published: September 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Even though we left the Thornybush Game Reserve today, there was still a 5am wake up call, bags out at 6!! And then there was the excitement of the morning - a frog in the shower! Lucky it was when Trina was in there and not me!
We have had a great three days, in our lovely room (except for the frog), and seeing the Nyala {yet another sort of antelope) all around as we walk to and from our room. One of the males seemed to be always at our front door or on the footpath between us and where we wanted to go!
We were transported by the same mini buses back to Hoedspruit (they were bumpier than the jeeps, speeding down the corrugated dirt "roads"). Three giraffe were near the roadside to say goodbye.
Then onto a normal coach and the start of a 10 hour bus ride ?.
As we left the game reserve, we drove through farmland. They grow oranges and avocados in the winter, mangoes, macadamia and other nuts in the summer and seasonal vegetables. Most are exported.
First stop, after about an hour and a half was Bourke's Luck Potholes, a rock formation caused by the erosion from swirling water, where two rivers meet. Paths and bridges to walk around and view the "holes". Also markets for shopping.
Then onto a viewpoint for Blyde River Canyon and the three Rondavels - three round mountaintops with slightly pointed tops. A rondavel is a round or oval African homestead. But not great weather for photos.
The country changed afher we drove through the Drakensberg mountains, still agricultural but grain and cows. Lunch was in the quaint town of Dullstrom, at "Pickles and Things", great coffee. Then a wander through the cute shops, before the last two hours to Johannesburg. Passed many coal mines and power stations.

Our hotel tonight, near the airport, is part of a casino complex - looked like we were in Vegas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb