Day 18 - Tearing ourselves from our latest lodge.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
August 12th 2018
Published: August 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another early start as this is our last Safari drive in Kruger. We actually get away before 0545 - yes that early. We were on the hunt for cheetah that had been seen yesterday so we could round off our animal list. As we had to be back for 0800 to get ours bags out to be picked up at 0900, the early start was a must.

Fast trip meant we drove down the guts of the airstrip and onto the bush tracks after that. On the way we saw a Rhino with her 2 week old calf - too dark for pics but a nice sighting. Then into the area where the cheetah were sighted yesterday. Bush bashing through the scrub when we get a call. One of the other trucks had found them. Vroom vroom. Get on the gas and finally find the 2 other trucks watching. We bash our way in and there they are, 3 cheetah in various states of relaxation. We are super close and they don’t really give a stuff....

All of a sudden, a hyena arrives on the scene. Checking if they had any prey he could rob them of. He circled around them as they became mulch more alert. Then one of the cheetah stood, the hairs on his back raised. Then it was on. All 3 cheetah chased the hyena away. He came back a bit, but the cheetah had him covered. Boy can they move quickly when they want/need to.

Back to the lodge we head as time was moving. Quite a few more sightings on the way, including more Rhino and giraffe. So blasé now that we almost ignore them as common garden variety animals. Get back on time, say farewells to Barney and Tonight, our driver and spotter then to our room for quick showers and bags out by 0830 followed by breakfast. Phew, did all that including a call from Jessica showing us how bad the weather was at the football, to match the state of play.....

Eat and into the hi-ace buses for the trip to the airport. Make it in plenty of time. Checked in, bags gone and into the curio shop area. Finally arrive in Johannesburg and onto the bus for the trip to our hotel. Rich, poor and then absolutely disgusting housing as we travel in to town. Shows the haves and have nots in spades.

Hotel is nice, has a shopping mall attached so we have a walk. The mall has an African market (NSS, what other type of market would it be). Wander around meeting quite a few others from our group. Gran a quick bite to eat then back to the hotel. As we go to check out the restaurant and pool, we hear lots of noise. Les, Julie and Jacki (of the mullet family). They are having a drink and playing croquet on the lawn near the pool. We join them for a drink. Fun hour had then we go to the room to do some laundry and have showers, etc.

Down to the restaurant for dinner. Les and Julie are ther and have a table booked for 6 (including us). That grows to 8,then 10 and finally 11. The waiters are adding tables all over the place. Then another couple arrive. Finally everyone decides it is too hard to keep stretching tables so they sit at another table. They are soon met by another co so we have most of the crew here now.

That is when we find out that one of the crew had been scammed at an ATM in the mall. Must have happened not lon* after we had seen them for the 2nd time this arvo. She tried and ATM and a guy came up and said it wasn’t working And that she should use another one over here. Mentioned that because she had an international card she needed to press cancel first then to help. Next thing he says the machine has eaten her card. Luckily she was on the ball and grabbed his hand Which had her card. She noticed his phone in the other hand had a reader device so she immediately cancelled her card. Turns out the same did had approach d another couple, but he told him to move on - nicely....... Lucky as we had talked about getting some more cash but decided we really didn’t need any at the moment..

Food in the restaurant is really good, and Julie insists on buying the wine, as we had bought one that she shared another night. If she insists...

Early night goes out the window a bit but good fun, laughs and some interesting insights into the people we are travelling with.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb