Grootrivierpoort (Steytlerville to Patensie) and then on to East London


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
August 5th 2012
Published: August 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

SteytlervilleSteytlervilleSteytlerville

All the bikes at the Royal Hotel.
On the Sunday morning, after breakfast at the Royal Hotel, me and Daan split up and head back home in two different directions. He north, back to Bloemfontein and me south back to East London. We had to cut our trip short by a day because of the extreme weather predictions. Snow and cold weather as well as rain. Not ideal weather for bike riding!

I took the gravel road south onto the 7 Gates and Grootrivierpoort road. Nice gravel road in the beginning but soon into quite a challenging road, reminding me a bit of the Gamkaspoort and Sani Pass roads. A lot of up and down hills with rocky roads. Small sections with steep cliffs. Not for the fainthearted- But a beautiful road, a definately must do again, but at a slower pace. A lot of noisy baboons along the way. Very remote and hardly any people in site.

Eventually arrived in Patensie where I refuelled and then back to East London. To get on this spectacular road from Patensie, one must take the Elandsrivier turn off and then turn left at the Telkom Tower to Grootrivierpoort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb