Hogsback- wet and cold


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Hogsback
July 7th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ntaba Kandoda National MonumentNtaba Kandoda National MonumentNtaba Kandoda National Monument

Photo from the Internet on how this monument looked in those years.
Me and Izak van der Ham left East London in calm and relatively good weather conditions. Izak has planned this trip and after it was cancelled the previous week-end, there was no stopping us now. I forgot my rainsuite in my eagerness. Rain was the last thing on my mind.

Boring tar road from East London to King William's Town and then more tar road pass Dimbaza and then right to Keiskammahoek until the left turn off to The old monument- The Ntaba Kandoda National Monument from the old Ciskei days- gravel at last!

We had some coffee at the old monument and then took some nice gravel roads on the way to Seymour.Rain starting to fall continously now and the roads were getting slippery in some places and the conditions misty.

On one downhill we hit a unexpected slippery patch. Izak was in front and I had a splendid view of his amazing recovery after the rear of his bike nearly overtook him. Past experience definately played a part here.

We hit some tar roads and the conditions was cold and miserable. Normally we will be disgusted with the tar roads but at this stage we were greatful. Not ideal conditions for bike travelling. We head straight to Hogsback and stopped at the "Enchanted Eatery" in the main road where we met up with Chris Hogan, that treated us to a very welcome warm fire and some nice food.Their contact details are '083 757 9075. Its worth a visit!

After some time in front of the fire trying to dry out, we realise we still had to travel back to East London and can't put it of any longer!!We hit the tar road back to King William's Town, via Zwelitsha back to East London. Arriving at home cold and wet, but still a great experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Ntaba Kandoda National MonumentNtaba Kandoda National Monument
Ntaba Kandoda National Monument

Izak in front of the monument.
Enchanted Eatery in HogsbackEnchanted Eatery in Hogsback
Enchanted Eatery in Hogsback

Izak warming up in front of the fire.
Cold and wet.Cold and wet.
Cold and wet.

Cold and wet close to East London- glad to be back


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb