Coffee Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Coffee Bay
February 25th 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our shackOur shackOur shack

cranog style
Johney Schumacker picks us up in his bus and drops us off for Coffee bay. It's one of those jumbo transit vans, with the long back and high roof, plus it has a big ass trailer for all the backpacks. The first thing he says before he starts driving is that he knows the roads really well and that it just feels like he is going really fast because the roads are windey but the van is actually limited to 112km/h.
Yea right this chap is using all 4 lanes of the bendy motorway, ours and oncomming (when its clear) and it feels like the fastest 112km/h I've ever done. Which is something considering the roads back home. Fair play though he got us there in good time.

They do R20 surf lessons in Coffee Bay if you stay at the Coffee Shack which is pretty cool for us. We go out for a lesson but instead of a 7'10" hard board we are given 9'4" unsinkable foam boards. I felt like a surfing god on this thing!! I was moving around on the board and turning just having fun. Didn't really learn much so I'll have to go back to the 7'10" tomorrow to practice stuff like balance and foot placement...

Coffee bay is much like home the coast line is very similar to the Irish coast with green hills, rocks, points and bays, it even rains plenty too. The only difference is that its usually hot. There are even loads of cows and sheep...

Its also known as the Magic Mushroom capital of the area. Every time we leave our hestel to go see someone or go to the beach we have groups of guys trying to sell them.

Two for the guys we got to know in Cape Town at LSB have been on a road trip and we have met up with them here. So the next two days were full of drinking and debouchary, followed by a swim in the morning and then back on it. A great bit of fun after a few quiet days.

Finally they head north towards Durban and we head back to PE to make our way to Jo'berg for our flight. 6 weeks gone so fast....





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

still tryingstill trying
still trying

you get used to walking in to waves with the board
the boys at the firethe boys at the fire
the boys at the fire

we got started nice and early at 5ish


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb