Day 6 + 7: The wild Coast (Cintsa) - Kayaking and a River Cruise


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Chintsa
November 7th 2014
Published: May 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The TurtleThe TurtleThe Turtle

The camping had some own pets; they have some peacocks, a turtle and even a giraffe! Also, some Blue Duikers (antelope) visit the campsite often.
The Wild coast is one of the less developed areas of South Africa. The coast should be wild and it’s a graet area to discover when you are on your trip here. Here, you can still go “off the beaten path”. I really looked forward, to this great place. But it was quite disappointment. Why? At the camping there was not much activities or excursions to do. The cruise that I looked forward to was very disappointing. Going out of yourself was not advised. The camping was not close to other highlights and ordering a taxi was not a good idea as well. So, we were stuck at a very boring place. At least they had a swimming pool to lay around there with a book, but I hate that. I want to do something, not laying around some water for a complete day! Especially if this area is mention as very great in your Rough Guide; then you also want to discover those places and not hang around a swimming pool.



At 5, the alarm went and it was the last time we could enjoy the sea of the Tsitsikamma N.P. We took our breakfast and even before 7 the truck drove away from this great place. We drove via Port Elizabeth to our new camping place, the Areena Resort and we took lunch at half past 1. The best thing at the camping was they have a housekeeping giraffe, but the only way to reach the giraffe is via an quad excursion, and I do not dare to drive on those things. The quad drive to the giraffe was the only thing that we could do in the afternoon. There was not a possibility to do other excursions. Because I do not dare to ride on those quads, also because the terrain was quite hilly, I did not do this excursions. Of course, I really would like to meet the giraffe; the giraffe is my favorite Safari animal, but I do not dare to drive on that thing. So, in the end I did not do it, and the ones that did do it got an hug and kiss from a giraffe. We watched the others driving on the quads, where they first had to do a small training. From the camping, you were able to see those training, where they had to drive in lose sand, up hills and down hills. From here, I made some short walk, but there was no opportunity to go of the camping, and the walk was than very short. The camping was laying at the river, and on the other side of the river the old ancient forest was laying. If you looked close enough with an binocular, you were able to see some small monkey’s. Today, I helped with the diner, were I cut some vegetables. Today, we had some vegetables out the wok with rice and beef.



Close at the campsite, some Blue Duikers (antelope) were living, and they do not have fear to come at the camp side as well. So, in the night we had also an Blue Duiker as guest. This beast was quite interested in our...garbage. He stuck his nose in our garbage, destroyed the bag and found something to eat. And, left the garbage for us. Not only you were able to see the Blue Duikers, the camp side had a quite funny turtle as well. The turtle was also walking at the campsite, and got quite often stuck in one of our seats.



The next morning, we had breakfast and an introduction to some excursions. There was no much choice out of excursions, or some that last maximal 3 to 4 hours. In the later afternoon, a cruise was organised for all camping guest, what shall take 2 hours. That does mean, that you arrive 1 hour before lunch, and then have to wait for 3 hours. It was quite a pity that the camping did not offer whole day excursions. In the end, some excursions were cancelled, due the fact they did not have guides on the terrain. I decide to take the kayak again. The outgo of all safety materials was for me quite hectic. In the end I did not understand it. The receipts were quite slow and the English accent made it even worse. At the water, we had immediately fun when one kayak overturned, leading that two girls fell the in the water. We were just maybe 3 minutes at the water. The girls took a new kayak, one that looked more stable and off we go. The tour was quite similar as in the Keurbooms River, but however that spot was even more beautifully. There were more mountains, the river led us there to more outstanding spots. But, we were able to see some small monkey’s (bushbaby’s). In total, we took the kayak for 4 hours.



In the afternoon, we had our cruise. It should last 2 hours, were we also were able to spot the beach and the “Wild Coast”. Or? The Captain told us, he was not able due the water to come at the beach. That can happen, but why did the tour took 1 hour and not the promised 2 hours? We paid for 2 hours, but in the end it was just a little bit few than 1 hour. That was quite disappointing. In the end, we did took another route than the kayak, so that was quite nice to see some other route. But in the end, it was not that different. The landscape is not that divers as in the Keurbooms River. There, I really had to idea to be “in the middle of nowhere”, but here I did not have. Too bad that the captain did not give us that much information. When we were back, Manda did not finished the diner, he also expected that we came
Wild CoastWild CoastWild Coast

Can you spot here the monkey?
later. Manda made some great diner fur us. The made some mashed potatoes with a vegetable mix beans and carrots with (too much) Garlic. Also, there was some salad to take. As meat, Manda made some great Farmers sausages. This night was the last night we were able to charge our electric devices; we will go to Lesotho, were we did not have any electricity! I really looked quite foreword to this! As I did to the Wild Coast, but in the end that was quite disappointing. I was not the only one who agreed with this.





The Wild Coast does over some great things to do. According to my Rough Guide, this place is one of the undeveloped regions of South-Africa. The Coast should be Wild; where the ancient, wild forest and nature meets the even more wild coast line. There are some hiking trails (multiple day) which you can book at some hotels. One trail that you can book is the Trevor’s Trail. I defiantly would like to book it, but there was no possibility to book it by the camping. The camping did not allowed to book any of those excursions, except their own. This camping is more a camping where you come for relaxing, for families and people that want to enjoy their old day, but not for backpackers or adventure travellers. If you want to enjoy this region, you better can book another camping, or try some backpacker hostel. The Trevor’s Trail is a great way to spend at least 4 to 5 hours, a complete day, or multiples day trails. But you should have some experience with hiking. You have to do a 3 hour long bush-walk. You will across “The Gates”, a great short corridor where some rock faces meet the Qholora River. From here, you are able to do some other hikes (you can extend your trail). A number of these trails include a visit with a local healer. For me, I really would like to meet some healer. Those healers are coming from the Rural Xhosa, they still are practise their old traditions. If you do not want to visit an traditional healer, you also can book some village tours. There are three Costal Nature Reserves that you can visit. The Dwesa Reserve, the Hluleka Nature Reserve and the Mkhambathi Nature Reserve. So, I was quite
Diner in preperationDiner in preperationDiner in preperation

Manda and Bheki are making some good diner for us.
disappointing about this day. Our next stop is Lesotho, read on if you would like if this was also a disappointing or not.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb