ENTRY 48 — SOUTH AFRICA: The Transitioning to Democracy 1990—1994


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Butterworth
May 5th 1994
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

ENTRY 48 — May 5th 1994 SOUTH AFRICA: The Transitioning to Democracy With the exception of the United States and Israel, most of the world had imposed sanctions against South Africa, and was opposed to white minority rule. In 1976 when the Transkei became independent, the practice of restricting black South Africans legal place of residence to homelands or reserves was already entr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rabies Shots:Rabies Shots:
Rabies Shots:

Bryan poses outside Trevor's bakkie as we get ready to head to East London for rabies shots.
Transkei countrysideTranskei countryside
Transkei countryside

The countryside outside Butterworth had few trees due to the shortage of firewood.
On holiday with Meg and DavidOn holiday with Meg and David
On holiday with Meg and David

Miranda points at some elusive game at the Giant's Castle Nature Reserve in the Drakensburg Mountain.
"Monzi Safari Lodge" St.Lucia, South Africa"Monzi Safari Lodge" St.Lucia, South Africa
"Monzi Safari Lodge" St.Lucia, South Africa

On holiday with Meg and David.
Cape Town, South Africa.Cape Town, South Africa.
Cape Town, South Africa.

University of Cape Town provides the background for a striking picture of the city on one of our vacations.
The CatamaranThe Catamaran
The Catamaran

Miranda and Enid's son, John, prepare his catamaran for a sail on the Cape of Good Hope during the vacation in Cape Town.
St. Mark's CollegeSt. Mark's College
St. Mark's College

Bryan and Miranda visit with Bishop Philip LeFeuvre, near Pietersburg, South Africa.
Johannesburg,  South Africa.Johannesburg,  South Africa.
Johannesburg, South Africa.

Bryan, Nigel and Nigel's children in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Cyrene Mission,  Zimbabwe Cyrene Mission,  Zimbabwe
Cyrene Mission, Zimbabwe

Cyrene Mission is famous for its localized Christian art. Miranda is staring at a large painting of a black Jesus.
Victoria FallsVictoria Falls
Victoria Falls

Miranda takes in the incredible power and magnitude of Victoria Falls.
The Holy CruiseThe Holy Cruise
The Holy Cruise

Bryan and Miranda take an evening cruise along the Zambezi river with a group of nuns. (We think they put us together because we would drink less champagne, but that turned out not to be the case!)
GreeceGreece
Greece

We resided in Greece for four months. This Photo is taken in our favourite restaurant in Karterados, Santorini.
Home!Home!
Home!

Visiting Paul & Ann after arriving home before moving to Peachland.



14th July 2008

To Miranda
Great Work!
4th September 2008

Mr Mac
Yes, we know of what you speak!
23rd April 2010

We'd love to hear from you.
Hi Bryan It's been years since we last were together in Butterworth,Transkei. We've been in Perth Western Australia since 1997. I think you may remember Reece and Candice- you baptised them. Reece is now 23yrs old and Candice turned 18 last week. We also have Tremaine (11) and Alyssa almost 2yrs old. We'd love to hear from you. Candice always asks "who's that" because she was too young to remember.
17th March 2011

My grandfather
Archdeacon Ziqu is my grandfather and i've never really known his story. he died when i was still very young, i mean i was only born in 1991. i was born after the death of my aunt, his daughter. this has just opened up my eyes to a whole family history i was never really told about. thank you
8th September 2018

Butterworth resident
Hey Bryan, i am currently staying in Butterworth. I must say your story is very much interesting. The is a lot that has changed after you left Mr Mac is no more almost all his family its only great grand children now they died accident after accident. All industrial factories closed, Butterworth high school is no lknger recognised as the best , where the used to be a soccer field the is a mall Mayekiso & group. Even though you were still staying here i was a toddler back then. Thank you very much for this historical background of Butterworth, writing this at the wayside hotel.
7th October 2022
King Street, Butterworth, Transkei, South Africa.

60 years ago
I was born on King's Street in my grandparent's James and Lilias 'Tommy' Carnegie's house. He was the town pharmacist. for many years it mayor. He brought the Butterworth Hospital and nursing school into being then chaired their board for many years. My nomadic parents left me with them to start school at 6 in 1949, I was back for a term in1958 and then finished high school there in1961. I knew in streets and the surrounding hills like the back of my hand. I can still smell the dust, feel the heat and hear the Christmas beetles. Would I swap it for the damp cold snow of Vermont USA? In a heart beat. I was totally unaware of what a privileged life it was.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb