ENTRY 48 — SOUTH AFRICA: The Transitioning to Democracy 1990—1994


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Butterworth
May 5th 1994
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

ENTRY 48 — May 5th 1994 SOUTH AFRICA: The Transitioning to Democracy With the exception of the United States and Israel, most of the world had imposed sanctions against South Africa, and was opposed to white minority rule. In 1976 when the Transkei became independent, the practice of restricting black South Africans legal place of residence to homelands or reserves was already entr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Office/Lounge The Office/Lounge
The Office/Lounge

The office/lounge at St. Chad's Rectory takes shape.
Cooling offCooling off
Cooling off

One of the pleasures of being hot is cooling off with ice cream.
Rural churchesRural churches
Rural churches

Bryan in one of the many rural villages around Butterworth in which he led the services.
The congregationThe congregation
The congregation

One of the many congregations in the small village churches in the Parish of Butterworth. Note: we are all singing.
Bryan and BrutusBryan and Brutus
Bryan and Brutus

Bryan and his favourite buddy, Brutus, behind St. Chad's Rectory (our home in Butterworth).
"Our field""Our field"
"Our field"

The field in front of St. Chad's Rectory, Butterworth. In background left to right: the shed (in the field) our home attached to St. Chad's church and the next door cafe. This field was filled to capacity when Archbishop Desmond Tutu came to visit St Chad's Church.
The "Umamas"The "Umamas"
The "Umamas"

Umama Gertrude Ziqu and Umama Miranda on the porch of the St. Peter's rectory, Butterworth. (Umama was the title used for the priest's wives; the priests were called mFundisi.)
Celebration-Transkei styleCelebration-Transkei style
Celebration-Transkei style

A number of dancers celebrate before a sit-down dinner for 100!
Dead of winter.Dead of winter.
Dead of winter.

Miranda delights in the warm sunshine. On this day the temperature went from just a little above freezing to a sunny 70 degrees Fahrenheit (St. Peter's church in the background).
Market Day in ButterworthMarket Day in Butterworth
Market Day in Butterworth

Bryan investigates the wares on market day outside the Butterworth library.
Priests of Butterworth.Priests of Butterworth.
Priests of Butterworth.

Fr. Tonjeni, Fr. Patrick Dano, Fr. Ndumo, Archdeacon MacDonald Ziqu, Fr. Bryan, Bishop Jacob.
Butterworth, South AfricaButterworth, South Africa
Butterworth, South Africa

Bryan, Molly and Mrs. Sirestarajah in Molly's home at the top of King Street in Butterworth.
King Street, Butterworth, Transkei, South Africa.King Street, Butterworth, Transkei, South Africa.
King Street, Butterworth, Transkei, South Africa.

Bryan stands outside the gate of Molly's home at the top of King Street, Butterworth, Transkei.
The Sunday SchoolThe Sunday School
The Sunday School

Bryan and church worker Mrs. Malowana with some of the Sunday school, St. Chad's Church, Butterworth. (Fall 1992 FotoetimePhoto CR)
Visiting with some labourersVisiting with some labourers
Visiting with some labourers

Bryan meets up with some working men in the square in the centre of Butterworth.
Muddy trekMuddy trek
Muddy trek

On Sunday, after being dropped off by one of the other priests we would make our way through the countryside to the church in which we were to take the service.
The Rainy SeasonThe Rainy Season
The Rainy Season

After a day or two of rain the roads in the villages became impossible to drive.
The Wild Coast.The Wild Coast.
The Wild Coast.

Bryan and his good friend Ron (the Baptist pastor) play pool at Trennery's Hotel while visiting the Wild Coast. (Spring 1993 FotoetimePhoto CR)
Meat on the braaiMeat on the braai
Meat on the braai

Bryan and Trevor check the meat on the braai (barbecue) at Trevor's place next to the Hall's cottage on the Wild Coast. Also in the picture is Mr. Colin Hall.



14th July 2008

To Miranda
Great Work!
4th September 2008

Mr Mac
Yes, we know of what you speak!
23rd April 2010

We'd love to hear from you.
Hi Bryan It's been years since we last were together in Butterworth,Transkei. We've been in Perth Western Australia since 1997. I think you may remember Reece and Candice- you baptised them. Reece is now 23yrs old and Candice turned 18 last week. We also have Tremaine (11) and Alyssa almost 2yrs old. We'd love to hear from you. Candice always asks "who's that" because she was too young to remember.
17th March 2011

My grandfather
Archdeacon Ziqu is my grandfather and i've never really known his story. he died when i was still very young, i mean i was only born in 1991. i was born after the death of my aunt, his daughter. this has just opened up my eyes to a whole family history i was never really told about. thank you
8th September 2018

Butterworth resident
Hey Bryan, i am currently staying in Butterworth. I must say your story is very much interesting. The is a lot that has changed after you left Mr Mac is no more almost all his family its only great grand children now they died accident after accident. All industrial factories closed, Butterworth high school is no lknger recognised as the best , where the used to be a soccer field the is a mall Mayekiso & group. Even though you were still staying here i was a toddler back then. Thank you very much for this historical background of Butterworth, writing this at the wayside hotel.
7th October 2022
King Street, Butterworth, Transkei, South Africa.

60 years ago
I was born on King's Street in my grandparent's James and Lilias 'Tommy' Carnegie's house. He was the town pharmacist. for many years it mayor. He brought the Butterworth Hospital and nursing school into being then chaired their board for many years. My nomadic parents left me with them to start school at 6 in 1949, I was back for a term in1958 and then finished high school there in1961. I knew in streets and the surrounding hills like the back of my hand. I can still smell the dust, feel the heat and hear the Christmas beetles. Would I swap it for the damp cold snow of Vermont USA? In a heart beat. I was totally unaware of what a privileged life it was.

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb