Leaving Addo Elephant Park


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On our way out of Addo Elephant Park, we saw an amazing congregation of elephants at one of the watering holes--maybe 100! Some came within feet of our car--rather a daunting spectacle. It was entertaining to watch the interaction among them as more herds of elephants kept arriving at the watering hole. Warthogs and water buffalo were also present.

We drove to Hogsback, a tiny community tucked in the mountains north west of East London (itself in the shape of a hog's back). Although we arrived in extreme heat, the weather quickly changed. Clouds moved in; hail fell on us in the night. Today, it has been cool and foggy. We did some hiking in the local area. Saw 5 California Redwoods that are more than 100 years old. Walked an outdoor labyrinth -- very meditative. Hogsback would be a great place for a restful holiday. We are staying at a lovely lodge in the woods, quite far from anywhere! The innkeepers have dogs and chickens, wandering about and we have to keep doors and windows closed to prevent monkeys or baboons from getting in (not to mention chickens and dogs)! Tomorrow, we drive to East London from where we start our return home to Vancouver via Hong Kong.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb