Route 62 & Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa, 14-18 September


Advertisement
Published: October 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Route 62 & Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa, 14-18 September

On 14 September we arriving at Addo, we settle into our unit where we were staying for 1 night. The accommodation was large but run down unfortunately. It would be a good situation for a family who wanted to self cater, but for us it didn’t quite work. At least we had good heating because it was really cold at night.





We booked ourselves in for a night game drive and a morning game drive. We made sure we put plenty of clothes on and the guide also provided a woollen poncho for each of us. We saw plenty of animals, however saw even more when we were driving around ourselves during the day.





So the next day, we spent driving around Addo, which was fantastic. It was good to be able to drive where you want and stay and watch different animals for as long or short as you want. It is fascinating watching the elephants and zebras around watering holes. When we were on one of the game drives, we rounded a corner and there was 2 lions crossing the road in front of us. They just strolled past the vehicle on the side I was at and they looked up at me from 1.5 metres away. It was incredible. They were obviously looking for the lionesses. These lions are not often seen in the Park so we were very lucky.





We then left Addo after breakfast on the 15th September and travelled along the beautiful Route 62 through to Uniondale. This was a quaint little town. We stayed in a B&B which had a bar and restaurant attached. The owners (again Afrikaans) were keen to make us feel at home. Accommodation was basic but clean and comfortable. We made sure we switched the wall heater on before we went to dinner as it was going to be another cold night. We have been lucky that the days have been simple beautiful.

We had got into a routine of having a wine with cheese and fig and lemongrass paste before dinner so this time we went into the bar and chatted to the owners while they had their rum and coke. We learned about the low opinions the Afrikaans have of the natives, and the ongoing conflict happening throughout South Africa. Since we have been in SA there has been a number of horrific killings in Natal and the Free State. And of course there have been the 67 deaths in one of the mines. They are striking over poor pay.





On the morning of 16 September we drove to Oudtshoom which is known for its Ostrich Farms and the Cango Caves are a few kilometres north of the town. We visited one Ostrich Farm where Tom road an ostrich. I felt sorry for the poor ostriches. We stood on ostrich eggs to demonstrate how strong the egg shells are. Sheryl has 2 ostriches eat some food over her shoulder, which she was not pleased about.





Next we went onto the Cango Caves. They are extensive. I haven’t been in such big caves. They were beautiful





We also came across the Cango Nature Park which was virtually a zoo. We decided to visit it so that Sheryl could see a few more African animals and I could see a Meerkat which was the only animal on my African list that I hadn’t spotted. This ticked another box so all was going well. We enjoyed the guided tour and learned a few more things about African animals.





Near Calitzdorp (near Oudtshoom) we decided to book into the Calitzdorp Spa which had a good write up. Other than missing the turnoff and having to double back, we eventually arrived. They showed us the accommodation which we were definitely keen on. It was dinner time so I said we should go and have dinner before unpacking the car. The Spa people said the restaurant next door was open for dinner. We drove there only to find it was closed and that we had to drive 22 kms into town for a meal. We decided to do that and found the restaurant the last people recommended. It was a lovely stop. We then asked the owner if she knew about some local accommodation and she said she had a lot of accommodation. After looking at it and being really happy with what we saw, we decided to not go back to the Spa, despite the fact that we had their room key!! I tried to call them but no one answered. The next morning, I called and they simply told me to drop the key off at the local Standard bank and they will pick it up….no problems.





That night at the restaurant’s bar, we joined a few of the locals, again to learn about what goes on around this part of the world. We had a lovely meal, beautiful breakfast the next morning and was fresh ready for the next day.





We were still keen to visit another Game Park and stay somewhere special for our last night (17 September) in Africa (South Africa). So after a few phone calls, we came across the Fairy Glen Game Reserve. The pamphlets looked great, there were game drives and nature walks included and all 3 meals where provided. We had no trouble finding the Park and booked in. It was obviously a big Park, at 22,000 hectares. After booking in we drove through 2 gates and had to drive very slowly because of the roaming animals. Where the rooms to the standard that we were expecting? No, things were very tired looking, but we could see that it used to be a very special place.





Non-the-less, at 4.00pm, our guide met us to take us on a nature drive, which included up to the local dam. It was massive. The scenery was again beautiful. We saw a little chapel where they have the occasional wedding. We also saw an abandoned shelter where a program for troubled boys used to be run. Unfortunately the baboons had been in it and made a terrible mess. Baboons are not a favourite animal in Africa because they are so messy.





We had a lovely dinner, but were very aware we were the only guests in this large resort. They had prepared an extensive smorgasbord meal. I am not sure who was going to eat all the food!!! At breakfast after the morning game drive, there were only 6 guests. We thought that if they charged less they would probably attract more people.





We saw plenty of animals including the 2 white rhino whose horns had recently been poached – and survived. Their names were Higgins and Lady. There has been 367 rhinos poached in SA this year and only 2 have survived, and they were Higgins and Lady. The male nearly didn’t make it. His horn was cut from the root so it will not grow back. He had lost a lot of blood but they saved him. Lady the female was in a better state and her horn may grow back. Poaching is a big problem throughout Africa because rhino horns and elephant’s tusks are so valuable.





We enjoyed the Park and were satisfied with our experiences. Now it was off to Cape Town ready for our 28 hours of travel home via Dubai. It was day 70 of our African Adventure. Fond memories will stay with us forever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 127, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb