Genocide Museum of Rwanda


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda
June 29th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

29 June: Kisoro, Uganda to Kigali, Rwanda

Crossing the boarder went well with the Uganda side being quick and the the Rwanda side took more time as they searched the truck and a few individuals needed to wait for visas. After we crossed the boarded, we drove for about thirty minuets before stopping to pick back up Kanyo our guide and two new members to the truck, Rachel from New Zealand and Bob from Australia. At the same spot, one of David's friends came and changed money for us, then we were off for the three hour drive to the capital.

Arriving early afternoon we visit the Genocide Museum where we learn about the tragic details of Rwanda genocide in 1994. The museum was very good as it talked about the political occurrences more then just the killings and bloody side of the events. At the museum, they also had the ceremony to light the fire they ought each year. The fire burns for 100 days to represent the 100 days of genocide. The museum starts with the peace between the Hutu and Tutsi people. The Belgians were the ones that labeled the people. Those with more then 200 cows were Tutsi and the others Hutu. it leads up to the French and all international governments pulling out of the country so the Hutus starting taking over the government and they vilified the Tutsis. Eventually lead to the death of so many. Neighbors even turned against each other. Many tried to flee to surrounding countries. The congog, Uganda an. Tanzania had refugee camps for them. At the end of the exhibit, it showed images of children who died during this time. It included an image of the child, likes and dislikes, how they were killed, family information and others. That was the saddest but most empowering part of the museum.

After the museum, a few of us enjoyed a cup of Rwandan coffee at their museum cafe. Samantha, Michael, and Linus sat together.

The current capital looks amazing. It looks very built up, full of life and the houses were up the sides of the hills looking well built and using more materials you see in western society.

Our camp ground was small but the area was quite nice. We fit three tents in a narrow section of the grass that was just wide enough to fit the tent. Was an enjoyable dinner where the camp ground hotel cooked a nice meal for us as we sat and watched the World Cup game. Also was a goodnight to get to know the two individuals who joined our tour, Rachel and Bob.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb