Rwanda: Day Trip to Genocide Museum


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali
April 17th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

As mentioned in another blog, following our successful mountain gorilla expedition, it left us with a free day with which we headed into Rwanda for a day trip. The border crossing was a bit of a mission but we made it in and I was surprised at how green and vibrant the road was into Kigala, the capital of Rwanda. The roads were also in fantastic condition – in complete contrast to the rest of Africa!



We made it into the capital and our first stop was the Genocide museum for some ‘tourism of tears’. I had visited a few of these type of places in my travel – Buchenwald in Germany, Auschwitz in Poland, the Killing Fields in Cambodia and various other war memorials but it is still horrific to read about what people do to each other. We spent a good couple of hours going through the various exhibits before we headed to the site of Hotel Rwanda. Apparently it is a famous movie though I have never seen it and there was no plaques or anything else to distinguish it in the hotel. But we did have lunch there which was fantastic before we had to jump back into our accommodation to head back into Uganda.





So a short and sharp trip but very worthwhile. Apart from being country number 70 for me, it changed my opinion of Rwanda as for some reason I think of most of Africa as being quite dusty and desolate where Rwanda is quite the opposite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb