'Making War on the Men'


Advertisement
Nigeria's flag
Africa » Nigeria
January 22nd 2014
Published: January 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Women's War, also called the Aba Women's War, took place in November of 1929. It was a time when thousands of Igbo women from the District of Nigeria protested against warrant chiefs, whom were sexist and limited wemon from fulfilling their entire potential. They marched through cities and towns d demanding sexist political leaders to step down. This revolt stemmed from a new political system in Nigeria in 1914 because they cared none for the unfair power distribution. Officials decided on a form of 'indirect rule' which set everyone on the edge: especially the women. The new system allowed the officials to take advantage of them. They confiscated their animals and their profits from market sales.

The women were also angry because in 1925, taxes levied on their husbands, and because they were so high, the women had to help them by digging through her own income.

After the war's success, the warrant chief was suspended and imprisoned for two years. Because the population was not the biggest, fifty deaths and more than fifty injured was a lot. However the living women pledged to live for them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb