Tuesday 1st November 2016


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
November 2nd 2016
Published: November 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

20161101_052030Swakopmund20161101_052030Swakopmund20161101_052030Swakopmund

Our facilities at Swakopmund
Today we left in good time, fuelled up with diesel, and then set off following the B2 back to Walvis Bay. It didn't feel right as we expected to see the sea but carried on as there had been a diversion. Eventually we realised we were indeed on the B2 but going the wrong way! Eventually got back and made our way to Dune 7 where there was supposed to be lots of sand boarders and quad bikes riding the dunes. Nothing moved so we had coffee with Mark and Chris and then finally joined the main road. It was the usual unpaved gravel so we bumped across the desert with dust and sand blowing everywhere. There was nothing much to see apart from sand, shrubby bits and hills in the distance. Soon the scenery changed and we were climbing the hills, winding roads, across narrow bridges and over deep canyons. The views were amazing with hills, rocks and twisty roads wherever you looked. Eventually came out of the hills and started crossing the plains.

We crossed back over the Tropic of Capricorn and then started hearing alarming noises coming from under the van. It sounded like somebody throwing a stone up under the wheel end and I could feel the vibration under my feet. We looked underneath but could see nothing. So we went slowly and made it to camp. We then found that our spare tyre had fallen off from under the van and broken part of the van that is part of the bumper and number plate, the shock absorber was broken and the bracket that holds the brake pipe was broken. We also now have a crack in the wheel arch. Then we found the air conditioner was again broken, a bit of an issue as the temperature has now gone from 14 when we left Swakopmund to 38. Apart from that everythings fine, though not quite as the bakery at the camp site which is famous for its apple pie had sold out!

Christo the engineer inspected it all and hopes to put most of it right!

After that we went on a short walk to watch the sunset and the little surecats playing in the sand. Lovely end to the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb