Sunday 30th October 2016


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
October 30th 2016
Published: October 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to a chilly, misty morning. We all met at 8am to be picked up and driven to Walvis Bay, south of Swakopmund, for a catamaran cruise. It was so chilly we were dressed in long trousers, jumpers, fleeces and any extra coats we had. One girl even had gloves and we were very envious! We arrived at the harbour passing high sand dunes on the way and a new housing solution for locals who could live in a small houses with low rent and start to establish themselves.

We got on the catamaran and as were leaving the dock a seal suddenly appeared on the boat next to us. We watched him being fed and carried on. Soon pelicans were everywhere and landing on the boat and then a seal on and off. They were so tame we could touch them. Then we sailed out to an oyster farm. At the edge of the harbour loads of seals were on a sand bar and swimming in the water. We sailed pass an oil rig and loads of big boats waiting for maintenance or work. Then we looked out for dolphins. They were quite small but swimming all around us. Then we anchored up for lunch of champagne, oysters and other snacks. I managed my first oyster but can't say I was impressed. Quite tasteless though salty.

We returned to the harbour and back on the bus to our site. I was so tired I fell asleep and most of us had a sleep when we got back. I eventually got up and started trying to clear the dust and sand from the last few weeks. I know it's a waste of time but at least it feels better while we are here.

Afterwards we took a walk around and went out on the pier. The sea is quite rough here and the mist hasn't cleared all day. It's so different from what we've been used to. I can't believe only 2 days ago we were so unbelievably hot and now it feels like winter at home!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.388s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0874s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb