sand!


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
August 11th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

dune 45dune 45dune 45

only made it half way!
since last post we travelled to the fish river canyon which is third largest canyon in the world where we watched a beautiful sunset, then had a full days driving through the namib deset on dirt roads en route the wind really picked up and we found ourselves in a full blown sand storm, attempted to pitch our tents, mine blew away and when we all emerged in the morning after no sleep we were all covered in a layer of sand, it was a very eventful night! even taking refuge in the truck didnt help much as the sand still got in and its everywhere!! Still, we headed on and attempted to climb dune 45 to see sunrise, we only got halfway, then we got in the back of a pick up and headed out into the deset for a walk with a guy who told us all about life in the deset, was really interesting and Tom I saw some good spiders and beetles! Journey back stood in the back of the pick up was horrendous, full blown sand storm, driver got lost and we had to get out and push three times but we all made it back eventually. Namibia is a vast country with amazing landscapes the sand dunes are incredible, in swakupmund now which is next to the sea. We had to change our plans due to the weather so have an extra day here, tonight we are off to a game restaurant cant decide whether to have crocodile or wilderbeast!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb