Swakopmund - Where desert dunes and the ocean meet...


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Am at the Namibian coastal city of Swakopmund now.. totally enjoyed the drive through the country for the past 2 days.. Namibia... a beautiful place full of amazing landscapes.. came into the the west coast of africa today and saw the atlantic ocean... it's a great feeling.. to have arrived on the other side of africa.. and the weird thing is.. it is all desert landscape..and the desert extends all the way to the ocean.. wtf? desert and water together side by side.. the great stretch of desert and dunes extends for hundreds of kilometres south of Swakop along the coast.. and the giant sand dunes right next to the ocean just adds to the amazing-ness of this weird combi.. try finding this place on google earth.. i bet the satellite view will be incredible..

Found this nice little internet cafe in town that serves great pastry and coffee.. looks like i'll be spending quite some time in here for the next 2 days... spending 3 nights in swakopmund.. swakop is the adrenaline centre of namibia.. you can do lots of activities such as paragliding.. skydiving etc... but i think i'm just gonna sit around town.. enjoy the city and soak in the atmosphere... and do just one activity.. quadbiking on the giant sand dunes.. will be doing that on Sunday afternoon.. so that leaves the whole Saturday tomorrow to do whatever want to do..

it's so nice to be out of the truck.. was walking along the streets just now.. and saw some nice little restaurants.. and i was thinking.. wah.. i have the choice of choosing where to eat.. what to eat.. when to eat.. i have the choice to do whatever whenever.. feels so good..

10 more days and i'll be on the plane back to singapore... it seems close yet so far away.. i'd really love to spend more time in namibia.. but yet i am missing my family and friends back home.. mixed feelings.. so many places to go.. so little time..

alright.. going to check me emails now.. will write more on Cheetah Park and Spitzkoppe maybe tomorrow..


Advertisement



16th June 2007

yeah, saw that cafe on the Google Earth as well :-)
Dad just commented that he had never heard people going for a tour that lasts 3 months, never .... haha, it carries a message.
16th June 2007

3 months is nothing!
Tell dad that during my travels.. I've met a Korean who has been travelling for 16months.. an American who has been travelling for a year.. and an Egyptian who has been travelling for 3 years! (record holder for me so far).. SO 3 months is nothing =) haha.. yah.. i think i get the message from dad =)

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb