Cruise - Morocco, Casablanca


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
December 5th 2015
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sat 5th



MOROCCO – Casablanca and Marrakech



Docked at Casablanca 0800 and were straight on a bus to Marrakech – a 4hr drive. Driving through Casablanca we saw just how big the city was…and lots of smog as it’s a very large industrial city..and the port is huge! A nice drive to Marrakech with good and every changing views. I was very surprised at how dynamic these cities are. Not what I expected at all! Talk about an assault on the sensory department. There were sights, smells (incense and sometimes a waft of something very unpleasant), and sounds that just accosted you as soon as we stepped off the bus. Traffic and people everywhere. We had a good walking tour through some prominent buildings and then all sat down for a traditional Moroccan meal, complete with traditional music and dancer. Walked through amazing souk areas, shop after shop after shop selling everything you could ever need or imagine. (along with some little turtles sitting in a cage – presumably for dinner, not for a pet) At the end of our tour we were let loose in the main square. Here is where the hustle and bustle really climaxed. People everywhere all wanting you to come and look in their ‘shop’. “Come and look for free..no hassle, no hassle” was the catch cry….I didn’t want to point out that by their accosting me to come and look in their shop hassle free…I’d already been hassled. But it was all in the spirit of good shopping and not nasty at all. I mentioned to Phil that I would need a few days just to get used to the environment before I felt comfortable enough to go ‘hassle free’ into their shop to look for something to buy. There were monkeys, rattle shakes (and I so mean in genuine animal form) and drummers. All alive and well in the main square. Truly a remarkable place to visit!! Then it was back on the bus for the 4 hr trip back to the ship. An early night tonight!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb