Off to Morocco


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Tangier
May 16th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.7728, -5.8235

Over the past few days we exchanged emails with a private tour guide in Morocco, hoping that we might put together a brief, customized tour to Tangier and Chefchaouen. Our cooperative guide has been able to make the arrangements, so this morning we are up early, and drive to the southernmost tip of mainland Spain, Tarifa, to catch the ferry. Africa is a short, 1 hour ferry ride from Tarifa. We are met by our guide and driver, Morad and Omar, upon arrival in the port of Tangier.
We do a short driving tour of the city, before heading to Cap Spartel and the Caves of Hercules on the northwestern tip of Morocco. We then return to Tangier, and do a short walking visit to the Kasbah, before stopping for a very tasty Moroccan lunch. After lunch, we do a walking tour of the Medina, the old town at the base of the Kasbah.
Back in the car, we drive for about an hour to the city of Tetouan. This part of Morocco was once under Spanish control, and Tetouan was the capital of the Spanish territory. The architecture is an interesting blend of Spanish and Moroccan styles. We do an interesting walking tour of the Medina.
We then drive about 1 1/2 into the Rif Mountains to the city of Chefchaouen. We find our Riad (a traditional sort of hotel) where we will spend the night. We do a short tour of one of the central squares before turning after a full day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb