DAY 11 AROUMD


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » Imlil
November 22nd 2016
Published: November 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was an early 7am start with a 5.5 hour drive with a 3 hr hike planned to start from our communal home stay( gite)n the mountains at Aroumd. The journey was the most spectacular yet where much of the road follows the old Camel routes along the river valleys over the spectacular Tizi n'Tichka Pass (2,260 metres) followed by numerous switchback & hairpin bends down the other side. Abandoned & current villages dotted the sides of the road up to the lower reaches of the hills.

Just before reaching Marrakech we headed towards the mountains again for the end of the road town of Imlil in the Toubkal National Park. Imlil is at 1900 mtrs very popular staging post for all kinds of adventure activities. The scenery from the drive into Imlil was amazing with almond tree leaves turning gold. The road overlooked a deep gorge with green crops and terracing and a white water stream cascading over rocks.

We experienced our first rain for the trip but stopped in time to allow us to walk the final steep hill & our guest home where a delicious lunch was waiting.

Light showers prevented our trek & instead went for walk through the Aroumd village. The guest house is surround by snow capped mountains but with only occasional peeks through the mist & clouds. Another delicious homemade chicken targine meal topped the day with the forecast for snow overnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Deep gully viewDeep gully view
Deep gully view

Life only survives around the river valleys.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb