DAY 10 AIT BENHADDOU


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
November 21st 2016
Published: November 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

After two party nights it was surprising to see everyone on time for an 8 am start. Leaving the valley we headed towards the Street of 1000 Kasbah's with the ancient hills of the Anti Atlas on one side & the snow capped mountains of the High Atlas ahead on the other side.

The Street is hemed in by a river valley on one side & hills on the other & heading towards our destination town, Ait Benhaddou. The Street is lined with modern day replicas of the traditional Kasbah & like all over the country are often owned by Moroccans who have successfully migrated overseas & then arrange to build a family home back to their roots thinking they will return but almost never do and remain permanently empty.

Next stop was at the 300 year old Amridl Kasbah one of the most iconic examples of its type & has been represented on the 50 Dirham note. A Kasbah is a fortified structure for the family of a village elder but now often cater to the tourist market serving meals and mint tea. All Kasbah's & Ksar's (walled villages) are fortified due to frequent wars over petty neighbourhood squabbles.

Another small drive took us to Ait Benhaddou, site of a number of iconic movies due to its spectacular surrounding scenery. Ait Benhaddou existed as camel caravan stop for carrying salt & other tradable goods across the Sahara mainly from Tombuctou to Marrakesh.

The grand Kasbah is now World Heritage listed & site of a number of iconic movies due to its spectacular surrounding scenery. The 360 degree view from the grainery above the Kasbah is spectacular ranging from lush valleys, barren hills with the High Atlas mountains in the background to the new town across the river.

Our overnight stay was at La Fibule D'Or a traditional facility supported by Intrepid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb