More Morocco...


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer » Rabat
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

It has been another great few days! We realized that we could get to the Mediterranean Sea in only a 90 minute taxi ride from Chefchaouen, so we did a day trip and were able to stay in the Blue City for an extra night. The beach town we went to is called Ouad Lau and the sea was gorgeous! We were the only tourists in sight and the only women (aside from 13 year old girls) wearing bathing suits, but we didn't get any bad looks or anything so we felt okay. They have taxis here called "grand" taxis, but they aren't so grand. They are mercedes from the 1980's and they pack in 6 passengers plus the driver in one car. There is usually only one window handle, so you have to pass it around the car to open the windows. On our way back poor Kelly had her head stuck right below the armpit of a very stinky man. Not good. But, we made it back without vomiting and had a great last night in Chefchaouen. By the way, Really Lucky was officially adopted by a local!

We then headed to Rabat, which is where we are now. Rabat is a large and progressive city that is much nicer than Casablanca, in my opinion. We are staying at another cheap, but clean, hotel called Hotel Splendid. Our room comes complete with a baday next to the sink, but the toilet is down the hall. Hmm. Down the street there is a medina for shopping and we spent a lot of time wandering the crowded narrow streets. There are a variety of things in there...for example, across from the 2 Pac shirt for sale are big pig legs and other random animal parts that you might fancy. At one point we heard a commotion and realized that the men walking towards us were carrying a dead body on a board. Several men following them (no women) chanting.

Tonight is our last night in Morocco. We both really love Morocco! The food was great for the most part, particularly the goat cheese salads, huge yummy pastries, olives, and cous-cous. What was even better was being able to be in the Sahara, the Atlas Mountains, the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean Sea, and in a Blue City all within 2 1/2 weeks! We felt very safe here and had no problems whatsoever! We have some pretty funny videos that I'll send out at some point when I get home. I'm sad to leave Morocco, but ready to come home and have a burger.

Peace & Love,
Nikki
p.s. happy birthday, Mama!!!!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



29th July 2008

Eye Coal?
Come home to me! Let's go out for burgers and beers upon your return! KT
29th July 2008

Safe travels!
Safe travels on your way home!!!! :)Kelly
29th July 2008

Wow Nikki, I can't believe it has been 2 1/2 weeks... What an awesome experience! You will have many storys to tell your kids::)) Have a safe trip home! XoXo, Mandi and Kennedy
29th July 2008

nikki, aunt vickie printed out one of your posts and gave it to us... im sorta bumed that i dint read any of this sooner, but im sitting here catching up and reading them out loud to james. =] your pictures are amazing. and im soooo jealous of you! lol. i hope i can travel like you one day. i hope you had the time of your life. and im sure ill see you soon! i love you. love, Renae
30th July 2008

Eye Coal
I find a seductive set of eyes, tastefully brushed with eye coal, peering out from behind a jet black veil, very intriguing! It's a must buy!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb