Our Tips for Visiting Marrakech


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
September 3rd 2018
Published: September 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Morocco has always held a mystical charm for us and when we decided to go on a trip to Marrakech, it was like the culmination of an age-old dream for both of us. It turned out to be a fabulous holiday in more ways than one to this city that is also known as the Red or Rose City because of its pink tint. It is a city of mosques, souks, and of course the medina. We would like to share some pointers to help you plan your trip flawlessly.



Henna tattoos

Do not forget to get one on your hands and/or feet while here. This art, as we discovered, is cleverly packaged into many cafes which allow you to indulge and bite into some local food as you get a tattoo. Henna is traditionally for women but some men are not averse to getting one, as I did. The Henna cafe is the perfect place to go, you can find out more here .



Be careful with money and yourself

This is something every traveller needs to keep in mind when travelling to Marrakech. You need to be careful of people around you and not get duped by hangers-on who seem always ready with advice. They are best avoided.

Also, it is advisable not to go out to the medina in the dark. There might be locals who could create a bit of hassle even for a couple, leave aside lone women.



Prepare for a summer trip

We planned our trip so that we avoid the summer months since Marrakech can get dreadfully hot during summer. In case you have to, wear loose cotton clothes, carry plenty of water and avoid being outside at noon.



Water

It is advisable not to partake of tap water as it might not be safe. It is better to carry a portable water filter which also saves the trouble of having to keep buying bottled water.



Shopping tips

A shopper’s paradise, Morocco is known to be a place where bargaining can win you great deals. It is best to bring out your haggling skills and make good use of them here. There is such a huge variety out there to lure you. My advice would be to bring a near-empty suitcase and keep enough local currency handy so that you can shop unhindered.



Dress correctly

You need to dress in a manner that is not offensive to the local people , so short dresses or plunging necklines are best avoided and shoulders are best covered. This applies to both men and women. These are in keeping with local customs and we followed this advice. We actually carried a scarf along so that we could cover up easily.



Book a food tour

Tasting Moroccan cuisine was high on our to-do list. We found that it is best if food tours are booked in advance. Although it is famous for its meat varieties and kebabs, Marrakech has a lot of novelty to offer in its vegetable dishes too. And you can come home with a tagine pot that can help you replicate the dishes you tasted in Marrakech.



Plan well keeping these tips in mind and I am sure your trip will be as memorable as ours was. When we last visited Morocco a few years ago, we published this post about our favourite places.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.53s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb