A little taste of Morocco + Costa del Sol


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Grand Casablanca » Casablanca
September 6th 2010
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey folks,

I wrote this blog four days ago

I am writing this blog from Sevilla. I just bought two tickets for tomorrows Corida and Chloe thinks I am a bit too excited. The last week was another great one, during which we visited the remains of a great Roman castle, dare to swim in the Costa del sol, watch at sunset one of the world most majestic building, the Alhambra and flew to Africa for the first time in the last five years, the very first time for Chloe, to visit the city of Casablanca.

The last time I wrote a blog, we were about to leave on our very first night train to Granada. However, things did not work like we wanted them to work. The train was delayed for three hours because they thought it was the perfect timing for a strike. So our night train become a very early train and we miss half a day in Granada. Also, because we arrive only in the middle of the afternoon, we could not get any ticket to visit the Alhambra which was the major reason for going there. However, after a most needed siesta, we walk up a hill in the old town and look at the sunset over the beautiful Alhambra. We then walk in the city center for the rest of the evening. If you have a chance to go to Spain, consider visiting this, a bit out of the tourist path city.

Early the next morning, we took the first train to Malaga and check in as quick as possible. Malaga as a lot more to offer that a lot of people s thing. Most tourist are talking ride away of the beach and a lot of them are very disappointed. From my point of view, the beach we have visited only yesterday, is great, just a bit smaller that the one in Barcelona, but way less people. On a first day in Malaga (we were supposed to stay two nights before going to Casablanca, but our plane was canceled and we had to catch one earlier), we visited the Alcazaba and the Gibralfaro castle. Chloe really like it and I did too. The Alcazaba is an old roman theatre and fortress. It is very good preserve and you have a stunning view of the beach and the old town from the top. The castle is also very nice to visit. There is considerably fewer people, which is probably due to the 25 minutes hill you have to climb to visit it. The view is ten times better that the one from the Alcazaba. You can even enjoy a cheap Sangrila looking to the Mediterian Sea. If you need another good reason to visit those two sites, they are both free on Sunday afternoon.

Getting to the Airport is very easy and cheap. The Málaga Airport is very modern. So, we were in a very good mood before passing the security check leading to our gate. In front of the door there was a lady waiting to tell us that the flight was delayed for at least one hour. When the plane finally arrive, we discover what was the oldest/smallest plane I had ever seen. The ride was OK, even if they did not provide any services. However, once we land in Casablanca, we discover how bad this airline is. It took two hours to claim our luggages back and they did not arrive on the right trolley.

After a small train ride to city center and arguying with a cab driver on the fare to our hostel, we check into a small room and were not very impressed. The hostel staff look friendly and very open mind. They also serve us two free mint tea as soon as we walk down the stairs. Our first day was already done and all we did was waiting. We were very disappointed, but we could tell that the next days will be great. The hotel was situated in the heart of the old Medina, where the people live. The next morning, the receptionist came to see us, while we were eating a surprisingly good breakfast and drinking what was for sure our sixth mint tea in the last 15 hours, to tell us that we were changing room. Our new room was way bigger and nicer. We really appreciate the move. We spend the day walking in the Old Medina and watch people ride old motorbike without a helmet or try to sell crazy things between them. We also went to the Hassan ll mosque and seat there for a least an hour during their prayer time. We were allowed to stand in the door and even take pictures of the inside. The Mosque is gigantic and very beautiful at night. It is situated next to the Atlantic Ocean. We walk on the beach and watch the kid swim in not to safe spot. Having been there before, I knew that even if it is fun to argue and visit the many small shops, you have to say no before entering them if you are not ready to buy. Because we travel with only our backpack we could not buy many things. After more walking, we went back to the hostel to relax drinking more tea and reading a book.

The last two days were spent walking around the city and meeting people. I really appreciate the Morrocains. They are very nice and can tell you a lot on their culture and history. It is always nice to learn more about the situation of the country you visit. I could tell that the city change since my last visit. There is a lot of construction work going on, but the people are still friendly as they were to a kid on his first backpacking trip years ago. We walk with a local to the royal Palace and he explains were to go and not go. He explains to me that the very nice house in this area are all own by very rich business man and told me that years ago those lands were owned by a rich Morrocain Jew. The area near the Palace, known as the new Medina is the nicest (my point-of-view). You can shop until you drop, be amaze by the architecture, have a tea in the many tea room and all this in a way more clean and comfortable environment that the old Medina.

Our time in Morroco slowly come to an end. I was very sad to leave a country that has so much to offer. I had the chance in the past to discover most of the country and it was again very good. I think Chloe like it and it was a good warm up for our plan after Chirstmass. It is not always easy to travel in this part of the world when you are a woman. We almost had no sleep the last night because our plane was reschedule very early this morning and we had to take a cab to the airport at 4h30 in the morning. The cab rides was an experience itself. The airport is very far and the car was very old. The driver was driving very fast (160 km/h average, top speed 175 km/h), but we were almost alone on the road. We saw some people walking with their donkey and carrying stuff on our way. The plane was for sure delayed again and we arrive in Málaga two hours late. Our last day in Malaga was very boring. We walked to the beach and enjoy the sun for a while before going to a tapas bar to eat. At 21h00, I was sleeping like a dead man.

We are going to Sevile for two nights and Portugal for one week, before coming back to Spain to visit the capital.

Later..

Nick


The hostel:


Granada: Hostal Atenas: Not a hostel, more of a cheap hotel. Great room, very quiet at an OK price. No breakfast, no Internet. Not much fun. For the people that want a quiet night in a good room.

Málaga: The Casa Mata Backpackers: A very small hostel. Met nice people and it is very cheap. The room is ugly, but very calm. However, the staff is really bad. Not able to tell you, where you can make laundry or where is the nearest Internet cafe (five building away). The only reason why I would go back there is the very cheap rate. OK value I would say.

Casablanca: Hotel Central: It is a hotel even if I booked it via Hostelworld. The staff is amazing. The price is alright and the location is perfect. Fre mint tea as much as you want. A very nice room. Very safe. The receptionist even woke up at 4 am to call to say good-bye. Very good place.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb