Fc Barcelona/La Tomatina


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
August 27th 2010
Published: August 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey folks,

Saying that the last 10 days were not crazy is a huge mistake. In the last week ish, we watch one of the greatest football team destroy Seville fc, we spent a night in a car in the smallest town I have ever visited in Europe, took part in one of the world best festival, got drunk for almost nothing on La Rambla and had an amazing time with Chloes mother and her aunt, all that in the hot, sunny and humid Spain.

We arrive in Spain via Port Bou after almost 15 hours of train in five different trains. Early the next morning we walk to the Sagrada Famillia where we met Chloes mom and aunt. We decide not to visit the world biggest unfinished exposition again this year and head directly to the beach to enjoy sangria, beer and little food. The rest of the day been spent walking from the Barri Gothic to La Rambla and finally their Hotel where we enjoy a beer on the roof terrace. At night, we went to a very classy restaurant on La Rambla were we enjoy our first proper meal in three months.

The second day was even better. After spending four hours walking from one tourist office, to the other, we end up going directly to Camp Nou and buying tickets to the night game to a scalper. It costs us more that it is supposed to, but the game was simply brilliant. The atmosphere was nothing I have experience in the past and Messi score three goals to make it even better. I am happy we went and hopefully I would be able to watch a game in Madrid once we get there. Before the game, we enjoy another great meal with Chloes parents on La Rambla and met up again after the game for a drink at their Hotel before saying a final goodbye to them for the next ten months.

The next morning we visit the Park Guell again to make Chloe happy. It is a great park where you can enjoy Gaudi crazy architecture at his best and have a great view of Barcelona. There is also lots of great artist playing in the main square and crazy green bird. After three hours under the sometime too strong sun of Spain, I forced Chloe out of the park and we join two guys from home we met in the train on our way to Spain, for some drinks. After some drinks, we had the very smart idea of renting a car and drive to Buñol for the Tomatina instead of taking the train to Valencia and miss half the festival because of the traffic. So we met at the beach the next day, enjoy the sun for a bit and walk to our hostel to book a car online. We then went out to a great African pub where we enjoy cheap drinks all night.

Because we were driving to the festival and not taking the train on the day of the tomato fight, we cut short our stay in Barcelona of one night. The drive was nice and we made a stop in Taragona to see their famous Roman bridge and enjoy some really good fast food. The highway was very unpack and clean. The fact that it costs about 30 euros to drive on the highway from Barcelona to Valencia is probably the reason that the roads are in a great condition and fairly empty.

We arrive in Buñol late in the evening and park our
La boqueriaLa boqueriaLa boqueria

great flea market
van in a not so clean street where a lot of camper were already getting shit can. We spent the night walking down the street and watching the locals preparing their house for the fight and celebrating the event. Apparently everyone had the right of selling food and alcohol during the festival and no one care where you buy your drinks when you get to one of the many restaurants. On the other end, we had probably our worst night of sleep ever. Charles and Martin slept in a tent directly on the pavement and we slept in the car. The music never stop and we wake up with some beers and head directly to the tomato fight without taking time to eat.

I do not know how to qualify to fight itself. I am very glad I went and enjoy some part of it. However, I did not like fighting for my personal space for three hours and getting thrown at shirt, shoes and other things that were not tomatoes. I am sure we were not in the right spot and it is the reason that there was not enough tomatoes. In general, it was a good experience. However, Charles lost his camera and all is pictures in the confusion at the end of the fight. It would have been great to see pictures of us.

We are now in Valencia, where we spend the last two nights. We will leave for Granada on the night train tonight. It will be our first night train and I do not know what to expect. Our two days in Valencia were good. We enjoy the old town on a free tour and watch a small music and dance night at the central square. We had time to sleep well and find our life back after the crazy last couple days.

Thank you very much Claire and Marielle for the great time we had in Barcelona and the so needed good food. Thank you Martin and Charles for the ride to Buñol and Valencia.

Hope things are fine whatever where you are.

Nick

The hostels:

Barcelona: Sant Jordi Arago:

Great tiny hostel. Amazing location and nice staff. The hostel is the smallest I have ever been in. They organize nights out every nights of the week. It was a surprise to me, but I slept very well even if we were always the first one in bed at 3am. Book ahead, you will have a good price.

Valencia: Home Backpackers:

Love this place. Greatest roof terrace I have seen in an hostel. Nice staff, lots of fun to have. Nice kitcheen, free Internet, good price in a very central location. They really know what being a backpacker is and what we need.







Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



29th August 2010

Hello Nicolas and Chloe, It was so nice to see my niece once again, and to know her boyfriend, even though I had briefly met him. To travel as you are is really a rich experience to have. It is so much fun to read you! Take care and continue letting us know about your wonderful trip. Don't you think that Barcelona is really different than the rest of Spain? Love, Tante Marielle

Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb