The interesting city of Fez


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
September 29th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fez is one of the main cities in Morocco. The Medina is one of the largest and is so easy to get lost and disorientated, so our trip kitty paid for a guide to take us around the city of Fez and the Medina. We started by visiting a ceramic factory then over to the various view points, again we took a tonne of photos. I think at this rate we will be taking close to 100 Gigs of photos, anybody want to come over for a slide show after we get back?!

While in Fez we saw a bunch of neat stores, where they take you into the show room, give you a demonstration, then hope you buy something from them, then the guide who took you there, will also get the commission from the sale. We saw the ceramic factory, carpet store, spices, silk scarves, also we went to the famous tannery, to see the leather hides being dyed the various colours. It was all very interesting, except man did the Tannery smell so horrible, that the people actually gave us mint leaves to smell while we were there to help reduce the smell.

The Medina itself
Fez 2Fez 2Fez 2

Tanning pits
is made up of small winding walkways where no cars could get through, so the people use donkeys to carry their goods. People were contantly shouting 'attention', watch-out, watch-out!

Later that night, me and Jordan got brave and decided to go into town for a bite to eat, but since it is Ramadan, not all of the restaurants are serving food, even after dark. We walked up and down this one street looking for a restaurant that looked inviting, but they were all pretty dark, but we were hungary, so we took a chance and walked into the pizza place, but they were not serving food, but they suggested the hotel next door. So we went to the hotel next door; no luck there either, but they did suggest taking a taxi into this sqare about 3-4km away. We managed to find a petit taxi, no problem, and made our way to the square.

Now trying to pick a restaurant that looked relatively inviting was a little tough, we both do not want to get sick, just yet. We managed to find this one place, that we initially vetoed, but then ran out of choices, so we went back to it. The man who worked there was super nice, and took the time to explain what everything was, and how it is ordered, etc. We choose 400 g of turkey, which he measured, and baked over an open fire. It was served with french bagette, tomatoe sauce, and he also suggested a spinich based salade. It was delicious! In total the meal was about $7.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Fez 4Fez 4
Fez 4

Our truck once again!
Fez 5Fez 5
Fez 5

View of the city of Fez.
Fez 6Fez 6
Fez 6

Crowded market.
Fez 7Fez 7
Fez 7

Inside the mosque.
Fez 10Fez 10
Fez 10

Want to buy some burbor carpets?


1st October 2007

hi kathy and Jordan good choise to visit Marrocco and really good place to smoke too;Have a good trip and profite sun because last week it have snowed at 1500 m in Haute savoie;good day

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb