Today it is raining cats and dogs


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
January 30th 2007
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rain, cyclones and humidity
Well it is summer which means it is rainy season, so no surprise that we have a bit of rain some days. Luckily there have not been any cyclones since we have arrived... actually there was one but it too far north of the island to give any serious affect. In case it occurs, Mauritius has a well structured system of cyclone warnings and procedures. Warnings are classed from 1 to 4. Class one is early warning usually 36-48hrs before it strikes and 4 is at striking moment when everybody should be indoors; not hanging out at the police station looking at flags (police stations hang out a red flag for each class). We asked some friends what they did during a cyclone, the response was; play cards, chat, eat, drink and relax indoors in candlelight as the electricity is normally out. So we have some extra candles just in case, and maybe we should get some playing cards? There are normally good drinks in the flat, but might be worth to have a cyclone red wine on top of the shelf just in case. The humidity can also be very high at this time of year. Today we have 94%!a(MISSING)nd that is quite “sticky”.

Does the rain affect the NinJo’s?
Not very much, as we are currently studying. We have today full focus on Physics, Decompression theory, Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) and not to forget "The Wheel". For those of you not PADI diving, "The Wheel" is a tool where one can "more easily" calculate repetitive dives and multi-level diving than using tables. It has spinning plates and moving pointers on both sides, so can be lots of fun (Joachim hates it). Divers has mostly dive computers these days so manual calculation is more for rough planning than practical use. Never the less it has to be done and slowly we feel ready for our two most challenging exams. We do look forward to finish them as it will allow more time for fun practical things.

Does rain affect the diving?
It can do as lots of rain can cause a lot of run off hence reduce visibility. Another issue is that the reefs have less light as the sun is hiding behind the clouds. The best time to dive a reef is when the sun is shining bright, just like visiting
Pretty NudibranchPretty NudibranchPretty Nudibranch

This is a Nemobrotha Kubaryana in my book they also call it a Variable neon slug as it can variable in coloration. It grow up to 6cm long.
Scotland when it is sunny as opposed to when you can’t see Ben Nevis. But when taking pictures of small things, like the nudibranch attached, it does not really matter weather it is rain or sun. We took this with our little Canon IXUS 500 camera with the built-in flash.

Don’t drink the tap water if it rains a lot or after a cyclone
In most areas in Mauritius you can drink the tap water, it tastes a bit of chlorine, but you will get used to it. Might not be worth it if you are here for a week, but for a longer time we think it is. Be careful not to drink the water after heavy down pours as there is a lot of surface water that can contaminate the supply. They say you will normally smell and see it when the water is bad. So far things have been ok for us.

But normally the weather is very pleasant and nice, check out the current weather situation here


Advertisement



30th January 2007

I cannot believe it...
After spending 5 years with Joachim in university...I cannot believe he FINALLY has learned how to study! Good thing there is no mens hockey league in Mauritius!!! Remember buddy...not all the answers are in the appendix!
30th January 2007

Drinking the tap water??
this reminds me of our tap-water discussion in Soho in 2003, Nina.. remember that? if not I can put that MOVIE out.. :D If u go to Thailand, (when) dont drink that tap-water. I am about to stop that here in so-called-clean-Norway(as-we-like-to-belive) too.... Stay cool! C ya!
30th January 2007

and he is sooooo cute!
The nudie, I mean ;)
30th January 2007

I wish I could join you guys
...mmm you are having the greatest fun in the world. NO WORK
30th January 2007

Who's the nudie?!
Heidi thought I was good lookin'! That's good enough for me! :)
30th January 2007

Don't believe it Fred..
Nothing has changed... Nina asked me to pose for that one. :)
31st January 2007

: Help with PhyZ :-)
Okay, Bro is studying the physics... bet he with pull an all nighter and phone me up for some help!!Hehe:DDD
31st January 2007

Thomas I am not sure I remember...
I do remember a fun day out, but not the tap water discussion. Maybe you can remind me in an email or something..? We have just finished the physics and RDP exam. So only 1 more then all theory exams is compete. Happy happy! :)
2nd February 2007

cyclone
bonjour à tous les deux, i think we left you and maurice just before the rain (we should normaly have gone to rodrigues on tuesday instead of going back home). I didn't know that you were freefallers, i did it a long time ago and that was seriously great. It's been great diving with you, i'll follow your blog and see the next stops. A bientôt e-mail : b_lavau@hotmail.com

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb