Our first day on the Divemaster course and what we saw on our two dives ….


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
December 18th 2006
Published: December 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post



The skills and training
Today we had our first real course day and that without the English speaking instructor. Pierre the French master instructor did his best to speak English and with good help from other crew task one was ok. Rescue Skills review - discover an unconscious diver at 20m, bring him safely to the surface and give rescue breaths as well as getting the diver over to the boat. This went well.

Second Skill was to swim 800m with snorkel, mask and fins. Now this is pretty tough and Nina did not understand the point system and came in three seconds late to get the same score as Joachim. Important lesson was that ensure we completely understand the task - no matter what language.

Second dive we practiced 5 basic skills regarding mask and regulator removal and retrieval, both of us pretending to be instructors demonstrating... not perfect but very good for the first time 😊

Fun time during our two dives
The first dive of today was at Water Lilly - Nice relaxing dive on a reef; garden eels, titan triggers, torpedo ray, lots and lots of morays.

The second dive was awesome! Moray reef stands up to its name, there are Moray after Moray after Moray! BUT also lots of other cool stuff: Saw three Ribbon Eels (blue, yellow and black), a very pretty King Crayfish (cannot find a picture on the web of this one. Need to take my own picture. or maybe it is called something else.?), a cool Green Ghost Pipe fish, Redbanded Cleaning Shrimp, several Stonefish and the funny looking Moorish Idol and much much more…. Now the bad thing about seeing all this cool stuff today was that we did not have the camera with us because we thought we’d do only training…. Aaaarrrrggghhhh! But then again, we are hoping to there will be much more to come!




Advertisement



18th December 2006

Hi you guys :-)
Hei på dere :-) Great reading - nice to 'hear' from you and that you're doing ok down there. Was a bit worried it would be to hot and that you would miss the winter up north too much, but it seems you're ok :-) Have your blog on my favorites - johoi :-) Hilser fra Hedda ! Thomas :-)
18th December 2006

WOW!!!
how r u mate. you both seem to enjoy this. happy for you. have a lovely xmas and new years, if in australia welcome home. lov,,,sandeep
19th December 2006

Happy Xmas Divers!
It all sounds AMAZING!!! And you have got THIS far that i am sure that you will not be defeated by non-english speaking people! Keep up the Good work and training and i'll soon be there for some lessons! Happy Xmas to you BOTH! Amanda
20th December 2006

Hey Sandeep, you'd love it here....
The island is about half indian so there are oodles of curry dishes... much yummier than that prawn on the barbie stuff you do out there. One good thing we have in common is that it is summer baby!

Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb