Cross Island to Very Different Place: Grand Baie


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius » Rivière du Rempart » Grand Baie
October 11th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -20.02, 57.58

The trip across the island was very uneventful. There were few towns on the road we were on and no where the hustle and bustle of Madagascar. There were some nice moutains in the distance including one named Le Petite Matterhorn because it looks very much like a small version of the Matterhorn. The driver is also a tour guide so he gave us all sorts of tidbits of information as we rode along. Said you could drive around the island in a day and Mauritius had been ruled by both the French and British before becoming independent.

Got to Grand Baie and found Auberge Miko and met Vivek and Lena, the owners. Lena is from Finland and Vivek from the island. Had an orientation session with them before seeing the room. Were told there are three things to do in Grand Baie, eat at a wide variety of restaurants, go shopping, and get out on the water. Our room is nice with a balcony, small kitchenette and nice comfortable bed.

After regrouping headed out on the bicycles to do some shopping. The first shopping center was nice but not a very large selection of veggies. The other shopping center could have been anywhere in the US. Every fast food imaginable, bumper cars outside and tons of shops inside. The grocery store was a mega store and had everything you could possibly want.

Decided to go eat at the Beach House that had gotten good reviews and was supposed to have live music that night. Walking on the streets outside of the "downtown" shopping area was a real adventure. There are not shoulders in all areas and vehicles come very close to you. The walkways were also uneven so you had to watch where you were going.

Got to the Beach House and found a place to sit at the bar. The place is owned by an ex- South African rugby player, Cabous Van der Westheuzin who evidently was quite the rugby player back in the 90's. Was working there that night and seemed to be a nice person. Joined another guy at his table and he was quite an interesting person and knew a great deal about rugby.

Since it was rugby and no music, we stayed for awhile and then headed back. As we were walking back, Robert moved to the side to let some people pass and hit something with his foot and went down. Ouch, a fairly bad cut on his knee and toe. Cleaned it up when we got home and will look at it again in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb