Jeff the African Fish Eagle Whisperer


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
July 8th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -14.0174, 34.851

Call Jeff an African Fish Eagle whisperer because his whistle seems to be able to call them right to our boat where you see them glide down and grab the fish at the last minute. Quite the scene!

The sunset cruise was wonderful as usual. There was a couple that had been living and working in Malawi and were returning to Scotland and this was their farewell cruise. We also picked up Derek, Annika and Bryan who had been dropped off on the backside of the island with food and fishing poles. Of course lots of laughter once they got on board.

Went on the sunset cruise and we were the only ones on the boat so Jeff took us around Otter Point to try and find some otter. It was a nice ride but no otters. We cruised past the busy scene on the village shore, people washing clothes, bathing, heading out in their boats, bringing in fish, putting fish on the drying racks and all sorts of interesting things.

Had dinner and visited with Karen and Daniel before calling it an evening.

Did most of our packing and then went on a final sunset cruise on Momma Afrika. Because we had such a good wind, we sailed most of the time. Only ones on the cruise so Jeff took us back over to Otter Point to look for otters again. No luck but an awesome sunset.

Had our final dinner in the restaurant and outdid ourselves. No box wine so they sold us bottled red at a discounted price and had two bottles, paid our bill and danced to the music they were playing.
Great way to end our stay in Malawi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

sunset with the eagles on Mama Afrikasunset with the eagles on Mama Afrika
sunset with the eagles on Mama Afrika

Jeff, who has the amazing ability to call the eagles to the boat


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb