Road to mzuzu-nakhotakota


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern » Mzuzu
May 31st 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was our time to depart from Lilongwe for a long drive up to Mzuzu. We first stopped to the airport to pick up the last two interns to arrive, Don and Mirrell. From the airport we headed out on the “highway”, basically a two lane road sometimes too narrow to fit cars going in both directions. I was amazed by all the rural villages settled along the road and the many cyclists and pedestrians roaming the roadside. on our way there, We decided to go through one of the national parks to get a better scenic drive. As the sun was setting the scenery became breath taking. As it turned pitch black, we got stopped at a highway checkpoint before entering a constructions zone. A man in a military uniform told us the road was closed but decided to let us through anyways. Little did I know, I was about to go through the bumpiest ride of my life. As our very skilled driver was getting tired, we decided to stop at a hostel/lodge in nakhotakota for the night. Arriving at the lodge, we got our first glimpse at Lake Malawi, the third largest lake in Africa. We set up our beds and headed to the bar to get a couple beers beside the lake. For the night I settled in my sleeping bag and bug net and fell asleep to the sounds of the heavy waves.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb