Full moon party


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern » Mzuzu
May 28th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One of our interns met a local worker from Ireland who invited us to a full moon party at a nearby village where Madonna supposedly does some of her volunteer work. On our way there we passed by Malawi’s president’s house and soon after the pavement ended and we had to ‘off road ‘ our way through the rough terrain to arrive at our destination. The party took place in a ‘middle of nowhere’ area where a camp fire, a liquor bar and barbeque under straw huts we set up. At the barbeque hut, a Japanese family prepared some sushi for the occasion. I could tell after my first bite into my sushi roll, my night was off to a good start. A local Malawian band consisting or three acoustic guitars, an electric base, a couple of singers and hand drummers were playing. The band covered tunes from Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, and Beatles with African twist, and other traditional African songs. Following the band a famous Malawian poet from Blantyre joined the middle of the camp fire to recite several of her written poems. Her poems covered many topics such as womanhood, war, politics, poverty, HIV/Aids and African life. For someone who was never into poetry, I was totally amazed. After her performance a DJ from Belgium took over and then night ended with a reggae/dance party around the fire. It was probably one of the best nights I’ve ever had.

Advertisement



8th June 2010

Pat and I have read some of your blogs...it sounds like you're having an awesome time in Malawi! The full moon party sounds amazing! Anyway, keep posting and stay safe!!
30th June 2010

me the deejay
hey, the belgian deejay ur talking about is me, the place uve been is Kumbali Village and this is repeated monthly. come and join, we need to attract a bit more people. spread the word my friend !!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb