Malawi & Mozambique


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After having the truck fixed we headed south to Malawi, given the fact we'd lost a night due to the breakdown we spent one night less in Chitimba and so only really stayed overnight, though we did get the chance to go to a witch doctor, who predicted that both Rhian and I would have long happy lives and we'd get married and have two children, a boy then a girl. The good doctor was wiling to elaborate further, though it seems the spirits had an entrance fee for further delving into the knowledge pool.

We then headed further south to Kandi beach on the shores of Lake Malawi, We upgraded from our tent to a more luxury beach cottage and spent three nights here.

Whilst here we went on a village walk and spoke to the local teachers and nurses about life in Malawi, it was really interesting, and the young kids showed me how to make a football from a condom wrapped in a plastic bag and tapd together with the rubber from an old tyre! Kandi is also where Lee had his hair put into dreadlocks for charity (an orphanage we visited in Zimbabwe). There will be pictures on facebook soon!

Our next stop was the capital, Lilongwe, not to be unkind, but there are more interesting places in the world, but we were able to get a few things done for our journey through Mozambique and make some phonecalls to those who had recent birthdays.

We travelled through Mozambique for a couple of days on our way to Zimbabwe, Mozambique has to be the richest country in the world. One street vendor quoted us US$20 for a can of Coke. We crossed the Zambezi River and camped by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere before continuing onto the Zimbabwe border first thing the next day.

Advertisement



28th September 2009

Looking forward to the dreadlocks photos!!! HE He

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb