Saying goodbye to Madagascar!


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
January 8th 2017
Published: January 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Its a quiet Sunday as we spend our last day in Tana, the capital. It has been an amazing three weeks in this country. The tour that we booked gave us a great introduction to what is truly a fascinating country. Each day we were moving - either driving or hiking in national parks or private reserves. Although a lot of the country has been turned into agricultural usage, the areas that have been protected are beautiful. Each day was almost like entering a new country.



There are 18 major ethnic groups in Madagascar, each with their own distinct lifestyles. As we enter the South western section to the coast was much more rural with the Mahafty tribes. They build large above ground tombs, and as our driver, Riza told us, many larger than the home they lived in. The homes changed to a more rural one story mud house with thatched roof, giving them almost a transient feel. Wooden zebu carts became a more common mode of transport.



On the coast, we are staying in a small 6 room place right on the beach. A little more rustic, then some of our other places, we quickly grow to enjoy the area. Quite a few people and kids playing on the beach and in the clear water. We are told, they are on their school vacation. The area is protected by a larger reef about a mile offshore, so we enjoy the very pleasant gentle lapping of the waves. The water is clear and warm. In the morning, many boats go out for the morning catch. The kids are friendly with smiles and waves. We enjoy our last 3 days there. The last night a major rain storm hits and the next morning on our ride to the airport are amazed at the now roaring river flowing from the mountains. quite a transformation from 3 days earlier.



And now, we say goodbye to Rosemary as she heads back to San Diego. Ed and I will enjoy our free layover in Mauritius for 5 days. Then returning to Jnb, to spend our last 10 days in the Cape Town, Wine and Garden region of South Africa.



Hope all is well with everyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Young boys displaying their clay lemursYoung boys displaying their clay lemurs
Young boys displaying their clay lemurs

and yes, I had to buy one.
Zebu- the beef in MadagascarZebu- the beef in Madagascar
Zebu- the beef in Madagascar

actually quite tender and flavorful
More lemurs frolicking in the forests...More lemurs frolicking in the forests...
More lemurs frolicking in the forests...

I truly never tired of seeing them!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb