Critters In Madagascar "For Rhiannon"


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
December 28th 2012
Published: December 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Unknown CritterUnknown CritterUnknown Critter

We were walking into the second park to look at lemurs and Herman spots this critter in a series of green branches. Herman's eyes are something else!
Today is my niece's birthday!

Rhiannon turns 21 today and the other night, while I was skyping with the family, she informed me that she doesn't read the blogs that deal with "bugs & critters". I guess they creep her out. I was surprised to hear this because, while they can be nasty (cockroaches), some are incredibly beautiful.

Today, I am posting this last blog from Madagascar in her honour!

Happy Birthday, Rhiannon. I don't remember my 21st birthday... not because the party was so good, but because it was so long ago. If you have half as much fun on "your day" as I have had on this trip to Madagascar, you will be one lucky lady.

Enjoy the pictures and stories.

Uncle Bob

xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Stick Insects Having SexStick Insects Having Sex
Stick Insects Having Sex

You need to look closely to appreciate this one... The smaller one, the male, is on the left. The larger is the female, on the right. Apparently, they will mate for three weeks and then the female will kill the male and eat him.... He is no good to her after the three weeks is up.
Ant Nest In The Rain ForestAnt Nest In The Rain Forest
Ant Nest In The Rain Forest

This thing is bigger than the size of a football (or for those of you from Europe, a rugby ball). The ants build it so it is suspended in the air. That way, the humidity doesn't affect the structural integrity of it.
The Blue Coua (Koo-ah)The Blue Coua (Koo-ah)
The Blue Coua (Koo-ah)

Thiis blue bird with the blue eyes feeds on tiny chameleons... Like the ones we found during our night trek.
Boa ConstrictorBoa Constrictor
Boa Constrictor

We found this guy sleeping in the sun, in the wide open, at the second forest I went to with Herman.
The Boophis FrogThe Boophis Frog
The Boophis Frog

This is one of the small frogs that make a very big noise. You would swear there are 5 pound bull frogs sitting outside your window every night once these guys start talking.
A Crab SpiderA Crab Spider
A Crab Spider

I had to shoot this guy against the cloudy sky so that you could see his shape. He really does look like a crab.
Frog In The National ForestFrog In The National Forest
Frog In The National Forest

This colourful little guy make a noise similar to that of two small wooden sticks being hit together... Like the wooden sticks kids would play in the kindergarten band.
Giraffe Necked Beetle - MaleGiraffe Necked Beetle - Male
Giraffe Necked Beetle - Male

The male is far more impressive than the female. Herman spotted this guy on a leaf of a tree as we were driving home from the National Park. It is no bigger than 2 inches in length.
Giraffe Necked Beetle - FemaleGiraffe Necked Beetle - Female
Giraffe Necked Beetle - Female

While still impressive, not a cool as the male. Her neck isn't as long.
The Golden Orb Web SpiderThe Golden Orb Web Spider
The Golden Orb Web Spider

This thing was gorgeous! It was as if it was dressed up in black velvet with its finest gold jewellery. The web is pretty impressive as well. The size of the spider was close to 2 inches.
A Tiny FrogA Tiny Frog
A Tiny Frog

There are about 100 varieties of frogs in Madagascar. Their colours are so beautiful.
Hedge HogHedge Hog
Hedge Hog

Herman found this guy in the forest. He kind of looks like a possum back home.
Madagascar MothMadagascar Moth
Madagascar Moth

This is the biggest moth in Madagascar. Its wing span is approximately 6 to 7 inches across.
Termite NestTermite Nest
Termite Nest

We found this in the second forest we visited to look at lemurs. This is located on the ground and is approximately 3 feet tall. Herman told me it is a small nest.
MillipedeMillipede
Millipede

Again, not my hand holding it.
SnailSnail
Snail

Found many of these in the National Forest on our first trip to see lemurs. The moisture was perfect for these guys. This one is about the size of the palm of my hand .
Tomato FrogsTomato Frogs
Tomato Frogs

I guess they are called this for obvious reasons.


28th December 2012

Just buggin'
Was there anything you were told to stay away from because they were dangerous? So far your blogs read "big snake...but I was able to get right into his face to take this picture!"

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb