Maasai Mara


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
August 29th 2014
Published: August 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

0415!!!

Who can sleep with the Safari symphony playing at full volume??? We actually rested - short, quickly but well. After a relatively short drive to the balloon site, we were up up and away. Captain Brian did a brilliant job of steering us in the direction of the action. Sometimes as high as 100 feet and as low as 6 feet above the rushing hooves and horns, we saw so very much, including a glorious sunrise from the air. The ride was followed by a bush breakfast under an Umbrella Acacia Tree. What a great way to start day 2! Joseph picked us up from the breakfast site and away we went searching for the big 5- well, it didn't take long before the King of the Beasts- Simba himself- showed up- a beautiful lion lying in the shade with his lady. We also saw another lion on the hunt and followed him for while. Finally a lioness with cubs- some her own and babysitting for a friend according to our guide. Elephants, hippos, more giraffes, baboons, ostrich and of course herd upon herd of wildebeest were also on the agenda. Adventure #3 - this time to a Maasai village. We stopped in at a local store to purchase cookies for the villagers. We had to get permission from the chief's son (dad is away) prior to being granted access and pay the equivalent of $60 Canadian, which goes directly to supporting the village school (which by the way is sponsored by Feed the Children Canada). Our visit included a welcome dance by the tribe's single men aged 18-26, a lesson on how to start a fire with nothing but a piece of cedar, a stick and some elephant dung, a visit of their home with an explanation of how they live and survive. Arnet participated in the dance and a jumping competition. It was awesome and the tribal men found him to be a really good sport. The best part of the day???? Me and the kids. The attached pictures tell the story a thousand words could never. Anyone who knows me will know the song my heart sings. After this very emotional experience, we headed back to camp for lunch, a quick face wash and away we go again, in search for the elusive black rhinoceros and the leopard. Alas, the day ended without spotting either but we did see so many groupings of other animals including hyenas, jackals, wart hogs, water buffalo, vultures and of course, more wildebeest- did I mention there are 3 million of them out here??? Hoping to see them cross the river tomorrow morning before heading away from here to Tanzania.

Bed time!!

Mouahhhh

MnA


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th August 2014

Hello!!
Arnet & Michelle! What a blessed adventure you've been gifted with by the Good Lord! So glad you e-mailed to prompt us to catch up with your adventure...just read back through the many I had missed over these last busy weeks. What an incredible last few days especially you've had! May they INDEED cross that RIVER in Jesus' name!!! May His divine timing be a gift to you both. xox Keep the posts coming....will continue to tune in. Awesome pics too BTW.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb