Kenya, Africa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
March 13th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Nairobi was our first stop in Kenya, or rather the wealthy suburb of Karen. We've seen a lot of Barak Obama signs generally through Africa, but Kenya, the birthplace of Obama's father, is in a class of its own. There are Obama pubs, Obama cake, Obama t-shirts. "Senator" beer has recently changed its name to "President". The expectations of Africans in general is way too high given that his job is to run the USA. I think it's a sign of the lack of faith in their own leaders as much as it is an appreciation of Obama.

From Nairobi we headed to Nakuru town which is on the edge of Lake Nakuru and the national park of the same name. Here we got to see some black and white rhinos. The white rhinos walked right past our vehicle. The lake is home to up to 1.2 million flamingos, as well as pelicans and storks. I found the storks the most interesting. They look physically incapable of flying, but somehow manage it. When they land it they look like a Boeing 747 touching down.

Our campsite in Nakuru was actually in the grounds of a hotel. The place seemed like some sort of money laundering operation. There were loads of staff, tables were set (and changed) for breakfast, lunch and dinner - but nobody stayed at the hotel. They told us they were full the night before. This seems unlikely.

Eldoret was our next stop, having crossed the equator on the way. The town was is on the Kenyan side of the Kenya/Uganda border. The campsite had the best swimming pool in Africa and a bar with a river running through it.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb