Adlam Family on Safari (with Alain in tow)


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
February 15th 2020
Published: February 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Kate and the boys landed at 0430 and were out by 0515 and so our day began. Kate and the boys were definitely tired but far too excited so we headed out of Nairobi and North toward Lake Navaisha.

We dropped down into the Easter rift valley and the view was spectacular even if the road and the traffic on it wasn’t. We made it to a campsite on the shores of the Lake Naivasha where we holed up for a few hours as it turns out our efforts to repair the now legendary “CV boot” failed again.

However improvisation was not to get the better of us. The good news is that Kate had bought out a replacement for us, but it is about a 5 hour (and challenging) job to change so we’ve now asked Toby and Dan to bring out one you can fit much quicker next week. So we just have to keep it going one week. Well a portion of the spare inner tube and some jubilee clamps have now covered the offending seal completely and (touch wood) seem to be holding for now. So we’re ok for now.

Once sorted we headed to Hell’s Gate National park, whilst it doesn’t have predators it makes up for it with some impressive features including an impressive gorge, the rock that inspired the opening scene of The Lion King and enough Geo-thermal power to provide electricity to a vast local area. The boys were loving it and saw gazelle, zebra, warthog, Giraffe and bats (in a cave).

They were however also exhausted and fell asleep on some impressively bumpy roads so we headed back to camp for an early dinner and bed. Zac (our master animal spotter) casually walked past the lake in front of our tent and pointed out 2 hippos playing. There were also a number of fairly cheeky monkeys in the camp who kept stealing from other tents, thankfully not ours.

As the sunset the boys passed out in bed and we enjoyed the view from the lake and catching up. Tomorrow we head towards the Masai Mara, with hope of seeing some big game.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb