The start


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Nakuru
March 6th 2011
Published: March 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So the things begining with A was the idea that this was with a trip to Africa and Asia with Alice... now I may need to add AMAZING....

Been at Sure 24 for less than a week and seen so much. The boys here are all incredible, so happy and all legends in their own right, form the 4 year old all the way up to the older boys!
Personal highlights- getting an impressionable 4 year old saying "Dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty..." and then "do it like a dude" to cute for words!
Being asked how many kids I have?
Being asked if I stayed in Kenya for long enough would all my freckles join up and would I turn black?
If I set up an African church in Britain would I be arrested for the noise...?

Everyone is SO welcoming and too lovely to describe! They have so many questions but its fully reciprocated as they have such an amazing culture. Can only really be described as treading on egg shells but equally being as involved as possible!

We have been helping the boys with homework, learning to dance like them/ me teaching them waving (dancing not the hand waving hello/bye kind) playing games we do not understand, reading Swahili!, visiting the equator, helping in school.

The not so fun side- visiting the dump on the outskirts of Nakuru- people live and survive in/on a landfill, the smell or rubbish is only not there due to the burning rubber and smoke, they have nothing, some of them not even shoes. They were so welcoming, singing and dancing that momentarily you forgot you were stood with people in the most extreme poverty. Really distressing but so glad I saw it, because Comic Relief can only show you so much... and they make it seem bad, in reality its horrific.

Everyone here has a story... the boys have their troubled pasts, everyone at Sure 24 has a history yet the community spirit far far outweighs the down sides to these peoples lives.

Happenings so far:

Stare off with a mossie on the outside of my mosquito net and feeling like this was a big win
Hitting the hot water switch in the shower with a wet hand and seeing a spark (im fine the rubber soled flip flops will hopefully prevent the water/ electricity deaths)
Seeing a mouse run past Alice's foot- TOO FUNNY
The large bug that jumped off my trousers when I got them out of the wardrobe on day 2 (IT WAS HUGE)
Being told that 22 is a bit old but I am still young and energetic!


Advertisement



6th March 2011

wow
just a little note to say we have made it to the land of the blog and we love it. keep it up! we're glad the mouse wasn't a snake or Alice would have run home Dawn French styleee xxx

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb