kenya migration safaris


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
June 25th 2013
Published: June 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

http://www.genesisofadventure.comMornings in the Mara are superb at the moment. They are sunny with drama building up in the afternoon as the clouds gather. The storms begin in the late evening. The temperatures are moderate between 19ºc to 22ºc.

The grass plains have changed from golden to green due to the short rains. All the old grass was mowed down by the migrating wildebeest and zebras which means that there are new shoots and blossoming flowers due to the tons of manure dropped by the millions of grazers. The new grass is highly nutritious for the lactating females.



[center;" align="center">[/center;" align="center">



The Domestic Migration of the Wildebeest and Zebras

The resident wildebeest and zebras have not returned to their respective calving ground in the Loita Plains, east of the Mara Reserve. This is because there has been no rain there. It means that we are still enjoying the huge herds of animals around the Olkiombo Plains. The herbivores are a magnet for the predators -and the cheetah, leopards and lions are seen during most game drives.

The elephants have come out of the bushes to the plains to relish the new grass.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb