OUT OF AFRICA


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
September 9th 2011
Published: September 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

LAKE NAIVASHALAKE NAIVASHALAKE NAIVASHA

VIEW FROM THE PATIO
Today is our last day in Africa. We enjoyed a quiet morning by the pool and then headed to Nairobi by was of the giraffe rescue center. The center is dedicated to insuring the existence of the Rothschild’s Giraffe that is facing extinction due to loss of habitat and the casualty of warfare. One Mom was ready to give birth but she was friendly and let us feed her and pet her. Some folks held a piece of giraffe “candy” in their teeth and so “kissed the giraffe”. Not me though.
After a wonderful time of giraffe petting we headed to the Karen Blixen house. She wrote “Out of Africa” and it was interesting seeing where she actually lived with the Baron and entertained Fitch-Haden.
Our final African adventure was dinner at the Carnivore Restaurant. We had the opportunity to try ostrich meatballs, mountain oysters, crocodile, camel as well as my choices of beef, pork, turkey and chicken. It was an interesting experience but not one that I need to repeat. On the way to the hotel we passed the largest shantytowns in East Africa. Two days later hundreds of people died in an explosion there. Last word I heard was that there was a gasoline line leak and the people were gathering up the fuel to use for heating and cooking when it exploded.

We had an abbreviated sleep at the hotel arriving at 9:00pm and setting a wake up call for 2:00am. Then off to the airport for our 5:55am flight that finally left at 8:00 and our African adventure is over. Istanbul here we come.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb