Arrived in Kenya- Day 1


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 15th 2009
Published: August 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As we got off the airport at 6:30 am we realized we were finally at our destination, the trip we have anticipated for so long, we were in Kenya! I was so excited and nervous at the same time to finally be in the country we have been waiting to be in all year. As we looked outside the sky was a gray atmosphere, the roads were aged and cracked, the traffic was hectic but we were in Kenya! Although as we got on to our bus we met our driver who would transport us many times during our trip and his name was Tom. For a bus driver he was a nice guy and a decent driver. As the bus rode through the crowded and busy roads of Nairobi I noticed that the region was covered in many dense evergreens which was very different from Dubai but reminded me of home. Then we arrived at the mall to change our money into the national currency which is shillings and after we had that errand completed we headed off again to see the orphans. It was a sad sight to see these children some of who were our age and all were in old clothes and all living together in one home as a family. It made me realize compared to them I was living a life of luxury. We met and talked to many of the children and I got especially acquainted with one named Vincent who was close to my age. I was surprised thatt many of these children had names like George or Charles and also second names that were too foreign for me to recall. We said our goodbyes and left the orphanage.We drove for a few hours into Nairobi until we arrived upon our hostel, The Wildebeest. It was beautiful for a rented out camping area and we all had to agree all felt like we were at home here and all excited to settle down into it. We relaxed for a few hours and then we had a dinner of chicken and fries. We discussed the future itinerary of the expedition from Transport, Budget, Hygienie, Cultural Awareness, Team jobs, etc.. for the next two weeks. We were all here, all determined, and all ready for whatever Kenya could throw at us, and little did we know it was more than what I expected and that if we wanted to survive we had to work together.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb