Oliech, Odinga, Obama


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I don't know that I can say much more about my first full week in the clinic. It was challenging going to work in the slums everyday, but I'm looking forward to getting to work tomorrow. I attended the church service at the school this morning, and, for the first time, I didn't feel like an outsider. Certainly we stand out with our white skin, but there were many familier faces in the congregation and I began to see those around me as brothers and sisters in Christ. Maybe it's starting to feel like home?

To answer a few questions about the school and people I interact with. The children are being taught English so their fluency depends on their age. The main school teaches pre-school to 3rd or 4th grade levels. All the students are from the slums and are probably at least 2nd generation slum dwellers. Also, most of the people in the Mathari slums are Kikuyu, but we work with all sorts of tribes including Luo and Kikuyu.

Yesterday, our group had one of the essential cultural experiences of foreign travel (except India)...we attended a soccer match. Kenya played Zimbabwe in a World Cup qualifier/Africa Cup of Nations qualifier. The scoreline was 2-0 in favor of Kenya, but really the on field action was a side show. We arrived at the stadium 2 hours before kickoff and crowds were gathered trying to enter through the outer gates. Some people had tickets, some did not. The police were out with their shields and batons attempted to stem the tide of people. At one point in trying to force our way in the police started beating people back and the crowd scattered. Luckily noone was trampled. A few of our girls did get pushed around by the police and one had money taken from her back pocket.

Once we were safely in the stadium the atmosphere was electric. Just a few highlights. The PA announcer warned the fans to refrain from political chants, but the people still ridiculed Mugabe and the Zimbabwe regime. Also, they sang praises of Oliech (Kenya's star player), Odinga (Kenya's PM), and Obama. At one point a smoke bomb was shot into the stadium and landed in front of the terrace in which the PM was seated. No riot resulted, but the environment remained on the brink of anarchy. Our final experience in the stadium was tip toeing thru fluid outside the bathrooms as we exited. Turns out some men got impatient at halftime and began urinating the in women's bathroom. Except they chose to use the sink and walls. You can put two and two together. I thought the experience was great, and really never felt threatened. Honestly, Italiens scare me more. Happy Father's Day everyone. Grandpa, I'm praying for you and hope everyone is doing well.

Advertisement



15th June 2008

Prayers and life back home
Happy future father's day to you Brett (that is ambitious, I know). Went swimming in the fountains at Tower Grove Park yesterday. Little Yuri loves the water, and she said she can't wait to swim with you when you get back to the states. What an opportunity with the soccer game...I kind of close my eyes remembing the Paraguay/Brazil game and then multiply the experience by 10. We miss chatting about the Euro with you, but you have better things to do... How is the leadership role treating you? Love you, miss you, praying for you and your group.
16th June 2008

thinking of you
Glad to hear that you are experiencing the culture but I really expect nothing less:) Michael, Yuri and I are praying for you nightly and we think of you often. We love and miss you! Blessings on your time working with the families in the slums.
16th June 2008

great to know soccer reigns in the slums of Kenya as they do in slums wherever else we've been...Asuncion, Cairo... By the way...Brazil 0, Paraguay 2
17th June 2008

Love to you!
Hi Brett, So good to hear from you and I hope we hear from you soon. With Phil's death you know I worry about you more but am so glad our Father loves and care for you even more than I do. He is in charge.
26th June 2008

hey Brett....been pretty busy lately and just now read your blogs. very interesting. you are experiencing soccer in many different cultures. it helps you to bettern understand those cultures....like that book we read last year that Rodney gave us on cultures/soccer, etc. you have now seen soccer in: USA, Paraguay, Spain, Italy, Egypt, Kenya.....did I miss any? we moved out of the house at 11 a.m. yesterday. mom and I made one last walk through and cried. we thought more about memories with you in that house. you moved there when you were 8 yrs. old and so most of the family memories were with you. We missed you yesterday as we said good bye to a great house. now we are ready to move on. we are in St. Louis with Yuri because Mike/Erin are in New Orleans for a meeting. will drive home today and Rod/Gina will come to Mac for the weekend for Phil's memorial. sad time. Jordan Fith will be in town over the weekend. we are living at Fith's until July 5 and then we will leave town. We will meet with many old soccer families next Wed. to say goodbye. I gave all the old Strikers Tournament Trophies to Dave Ferrell. I hought they should stay in town and not go with us. let me know your thoughts. love you and miss you a lot....but God is at work in Kenya and in you. Dad

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb